Best Char-Broil grill of these two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to disagree with Max, Larry Wolfe (who use to post over here) use to cook all kinds of stuff on his Smokey Joe. It really is a great grill I still have mine and bust it out every now and then to cook a few burgers or a steak or two. Start small if you are on a limited budget. Just my opinion ;)

Thanks guys. I pourchased the smokey Joe gold. Will have it Monday :)

The only store around here that sells that kind of stuff is really expensive, so I just got it off amazon

Why would he list to a Texan of all people!.......

That must have been along time ago Bbquzz, the only thing I have seen Larry with is his 22.5" Weber.

I would have went with the 22.5. With the Smokey Joe you are limiting yourself on what you can cook due to space plus every accessory out there is made for a 22.5

Still, 14 inches, you are limiting yourself, just like John said. I mean I have one, if I am making something for just my self then yeah I use it to save fuel, but if you have more than just yourself, which is most of the time, then it is just too small. If anything I would have gotten the Bigger Joe. Just my opinion, that's all. To me it is a beach grill, not something that you would use everyday if you have a family.

OK, I have to say that I LOVE my Smoky Joe, BUT, I went BACKWARDS to get it and I love it to this day.

I started out larger and love the additional space, but when I know that the Smoky Joe is can handle the volume that I need for a particular cook, it is perfect.

I would be guessing here, BUT, I'd bet a dollar or there that's what ole Bucket Head Larry is doing since he does have other grills and smokers.

(I think some texicans 'round these parts might be huffing a little too much gas and electrical smoke...)

I didn't say that i don't like mine, but there are only certain times I will use it. Mainly when it is just me I am cooking for. If there is more than 2 people you are cooking for, it lacks the space. It is great for taking t the beach, or other out of doors trips. That is all I am saying.....

Oh and yeah you are right about the texicans talking too much gas, and electric. I think they lost their way from charcoal.....

I have a Smokey Joe too, so far I have just put it together. I also have a Jumbo Joe that I have had for probably 5 years and used it twice. Actually I let a friend borrow it last year and haven't gotten it back yet.

It's not smoke, it is mostly steam. And trust me that is nothing in comparison to actually smoking something. Personally I would tell your neighbors to take a flying "beeeeeeeeeeeeep". That is just me though.

Last edited:
More pics less babble.......big /small who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cauliflower and pulled pork

ohjo14.jpg

Chop asparagus and smashed potatoes!

1621mhs.jpg

had a full day and ate a double turkey burger burger 5 mins ago........piggy!!!

11l1tef.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so this smoking is what I'm afraid of for the neighbours (when he grills the steak):
Ribeye Steak on The Smokey Joe Gold (How To) - YouTube

Anyway to prevent or at least minimize the quantity of smoke?

I bet you will get more compliments than scowls as long as you aren't "That Guy" in the neighborhood. I grill Alot and BBQ often and I have yet to have a neighbor complain. I have had a few times where I sent up some smoke signals to the point I'm expecting the fire dept to show up because someone call them.

Looking good on the pork and cauliflower. I think the only ones who biotch about bbq smoke are yups from Sunny CA.

Should be able to find a 22.5" on Craigslist for anywhere between $25-50

Ok so this smoking is what I'm afraid of for the neighbours (when he grills the steak):
Ribeye Steak on The Smokey Joe Gold (How To) - YouTube

Anyway to prevent or at least minimize the quantity of smoke?

Any other regulars watch the video? The guy put olive oil on both sides of the steak, so of course there will be more smoke. Anyone else put olive oil on their steaks? I don't.
Lump charcoal burns hotter and cleaner than manufactured briquettes.
I mostly cook off gas because it's quicker and easier but when I have the time and energy I use charcoal. Weber makes fine products for both, I have a gasser which I use 3-4 times a week even in winter and a 18" kettle which I picked up for $10 at a garage sale. Look for good clearance deals in late summer.
Have fun and post lots of pics!

Back
Top Bottom