Pierce's BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I went to Williamsburg Virginia this weekend for my Anniversary and my wife and I visited Pierces BBQ through a recommendation from a friend that said "it's the best BBQ they've ever had". We got there at noon on Saturday afternoon and the place was packed. I'm thinking yeah, I'm gonna eat some good BBQ!! I ordered a Jumbo Pulled Pork Sandwich and some potato salad and my wife got a grilled chicken sandwich and onion rings. Our number is called and my mouth is watering. I pull my sandwich out and it smells really good, I smell cinnamon (one of my own secret ingredients). I open it up and it looked good, the meat was sauced already and it certainly was not a jumbo sandwich in my view. But the prices were good. I take a bite and was pleasantly surprised. It had good flavor, good bark, but the meat was chewy and some parts were hard and inedible. Then I tried the potato salad, it was just your ordinary store bought potato salad, big disappointment. My wifes grilled chicken was literally, dry to the point you had to take a drink to wash it down. However there was one really good thing, the onions rings! Delicious!!!

So would I go back? Sure, I'd give them another try. The flavor was very good with spices, vinegar and sweetness. I may have just gotten a bad spoon full of meat. But I'm telling you, this place was filled to the gills. As soon as someone left there was people waiting to sit down before the table was cleaned. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best I'd give Pierce's a 6.

Eye Q and I stopped by there last year. I thougt as far a resturant BBQ it was better than most. However, like you, I didnt like the fact that they sauced the meat. I like to taste the meat and add sauce if needed. Would I go back, sure. I liked seeing there pits.

Shoulda called me Larry. I only live about 30 minutes from Pierce's. I woulda brought you some real 'que. But I will admit that Pierce's is the best restaraunt que that I've had in Virginia.

Tim

I'm looking at the pics of the sandwich and thinking it don't look anything like what gets posted on this forum. Did you scrap off some of the slaw for the pic or something ?

I drove by Pierce's literally hundreds of times when I lived in Virginia Beach, never bothered to eat there. Finally, years later, after I had moved to Roanoke, I stopped during a trip to the Tidewater area. I wouldn't presume to judge any restaurant by only one visit, but I was somewhat disappointed after all the hype I had heard for so many years from people who ate there regularly. Pierce's may well have the best restaurant 'que in Virginia, but that ain't saying a whole lot in my (admittedly limited) experience. :?

Yes, they do cook with all wood. The old way. They burn the hickory down to coals under the pit. They are the only place grand fathered to be able to still do it that way in a building seperated from the main restaraunt.

It's not KFC slaw by any means. It has a much stronger vinegar taste to it, and the sauce is more of a Tennesee style than any thing else.

I admit that it's not great, but it is the best from a restaurant around these parts.

If you some really foul stuff that people call BBQ, go up 60 East to Hog Wild. That place is a joke in the world of BBQ.

Tim

I'm trying to meet up with CarolinaQue at Peirce's on Sat on my way home. He's busy I think so if I can't pop in and visit him I plan on going to the place.

Maybe they had a bad day. My guess is they did. Ya'll folks also have to remember that a good Restaurant BBQ is a "7" in competition. So if you guys compete and make better BBQ well, that;s what you are suppose to do. In DC I scored a .986 in Ribs and came in 10th against Myron Mixon and a Restaurant Rib would be a "7".

I Gas Grilled some Steaks here so...talking of BBQ is making me drool
:roll:

Mike,

I'll only be about 10 minutes off of the freeway off of the Ft. Eustis/Yorktown exit (I think that it's exit 258 B). I can make sure that there is some good 'que ready for lunch if you want to come by. I should have enough time to take a break long enough to visit. I could always meet you at the gate. Call for directions if you can make it.

Tim

I think everyone one is seeking the holy grail of bbq...BBQ as good as what you make at home but don't have to cook. I've decided that my criteria is now "would i go back again and pay for that again. Still doesn't happen very often.

CarolinaQue said:
Mike,

I'll only be about 10 minutes off of the freeway off of the Ft. Eustis/Yorktown exit (I think that it's exit 258 B). I can make sure that there is some good 'que ready for lunch if you want to come by. I should have enough time to take a break long enough to visit. I could always meet you at the gate. Call for directions if you can make it.

Tim

Thanks Tim, Chele and I just might take you up. We were at Ft. Eustis a few weeks ago getting our boy Matt from Blackhawk Mech Training. He ships to Korea tomorrow Sept 11th.

ohhRah

I'll call ya man
Thanks
peace
<><

If you're going to be around here today, give me a call. I know of a "decent" place not to far from Ft. Eustis. Tell your son good luck over there in Korea. I've spent a day or 2 in the Far East myself from my Marine days.

Tim

CarolinaQue said:
Mike,

Tim

Shoot, your right down the street from my oldest daughter. You two should get together.

Bill,

You've only known this for how long now? She, you, and any one else from here always welcome over if you give me enough notice.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom