Rev.'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
I pulled out a bag of left over meat from the pig roast a while back and figured
I'd give the Free bottle of Rev. Marvin's sauce a try I won in Lary's raffle.

It was OK I guess, but nothing I'd eat twice.......
guess I'm not a big fan of mustard sauces :( It totally overpowered the
smoke flavor and the flavor of the pork too.
Is the mustard a Carolinas thing?

Joe, mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with honey. I love it! If it's overpowering, try using a little less. If you still not happy, send it to me! :D

I'm not from Carolina...and I totally disagree with SJ on this one. I find it as good on PP as I do on ribs. But if you don't like mustard then it might not be your cup of tea! :D

SJ, try it on shrimp or chicken. Or like Greg said, if you don't like mustard you probably wiil not like the Rev's sauce.

I have never used it until last labor day. I wasn't sure what to expect. It is mustardy, but that's different for us down here in Texas. It definitely was strong, but it was good too.. All my coworker had great things to say about it when we used it on pull pork sandwiches. I bet it rocks on Hot dawgs !!!!

Smokey_Joe said:
I pulled out a bag of left over meat from the pig roast a while back and figured
I'd give the Free bottle of Rev. Marvin's sauce a try I won in Lary's raffle.

It was OK I guess, but nothing I'd eat twice.......
guess I'm not a big fan of mustard sauces :( It totally overpowered the
smoke flavor and the flavor of the pork too.
Is the mustard a Carolinas thing?

SJ, don't give up on it yet. Before you give up, try the combinations below.

Mix equal parts Rev's and Honey, bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes until thickened. He this glaze on ribs, chicken and grilled ham steaks

Mix equal parts Rev's and ketchup, and mix in with your favorite meatloaf recipe as well as use for the finishing glaze.

Mix equal parts of Rev's and mayonaisse for a great "remoulade" type dipping sauce. Fantastic for shrimp, fish, turkey and chicken.

Rev's is also a very good sauce for pulled chuck. It really compliments the beefy flavor of the chuck.

It's also good mixed 50/50 with mayo and used as a Cole Slaw dressing.

It is an aquired taste and if you don't like mustard or vinegar you probably won't like it. But if you do, try it a couple more times before giving up on it. I wasn't a huge fan the first time I tasted it either. Now I order it by the case and have even ordered it by the gallon. It's good on it's own, but very very universal with other combinations!

It's very unique, but that's why I like it. One of the BBCuties
eats it on her salads, doesn't mix anything with it.

The grilled shrimp rock, with or without the honey.

Joe, remember that this is a thinner sauce, and you don't
use as much as most folks do with a tomato based sauce..
just a hint to accent the meat.

I use the regular in place of Marzettis cole slaw dressing...use the Revs instead...its different and very good!

I used the Rev's sauce on some Itailian sausage over the weekend and liked it a lot. I am using it today on a gigantic beef brisket with a cracked pepper rub (had to strip a floor over the weekend when I wanted to cook it).

I like the Rev's sauce a lot but doesn't remind me of bbq. I think it would be excellent brushed on shrimp or fish.

1/2 rev's and 1/2 sweet baby rays or a sweet tangy Q sauce is good as well. I don't go for it straight out of the bottle but it's great mixed up like all the other guys are sayin.

Back
Top Bottom