Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi and welcome aboard! First of all I want to say you are a helluva wife for trying to get such a great gift for your husband! Here are a couple links below that you cannot go wrong with and you can have them made the way you want.

www.gatorpit.net
www.bbqpits.com

I love my three Peoria Custom Cookers. They start at $3,800 and are second to none in quality and design.

Where in Virginia are ya'll?

WOW, what a gift. I'm not sure what size but Dave Klose makes a real nice offset stick burner that you can get fo that price. You can also get a Lang 84 with a verticle box for that too.

Well.... first off.... Do you know what HE wants in a cooker? Offset sticker vs Vertical water/Cabinet?

Wouldn't want you to spend all that money on something that he is gunna end up hating.

ScottyDaQ said:
Well.... first off.... Do you know what HE wants in a cooker? Offset sticker vs Vertical water/Cabinet?

Wouldn't want you to spend all that money on something that he is gunna end up hating.

Good advice Scotty! In my conversations with Wildfire Eric, he has mentioned numerous times that he would love a Primo XL Kamado with a Cypress Table and all the accessories. Mrs. Wildfire Eric you may want to look HERE for more information on the Primo's! You can even bake bread and cakes on them if you are into that type of cooking! :LOL:

Depends why he wants a mobile pit.

If it's for catering big jobs, size matters a lot. You probably get the most shelf space for the money with an offset. Lang and Peoria are both really good manufacturers. If catering is an important part of the picture, you'll need to get in touch with them and see what you can get for the money, delivered on time, with a bow.

Klose are great pits but Dave has started to charge a fair bit for the Klose name. You can't blame him, he has more orders than he can fill. If money were not an object, and I wanted an offset, I'd go Klose.

If it's for comp, the cabinets are currently kicking "butt" on most of the circuits. They burn steadily and evenly, don't require much tending (that means you can sleep during a comp), use fuel efficiently, and keep the product moist. Downside is you can't overload them, and they don't "look like" smokers.

The big names are Stumps, Backwoods and Spicewine.

Spicewine is the best choice if you want a trailer as part of the deal. I've seen a few, but never used one. The owners were enthusiastic. But based on what I've seen and heard heard Backwoods and Stumps are (slightly) better cookers.

Stumps require even less tending. Backwoods have more options available, and make good use of water pans (I'm a believer.) If a dedicated competition cooker were my birthday present I'd want a Backwoods. Downside for you is that neither of these is really mobile, and will require a separate trailer. When you consider everything you have to shlep to a comp, that's probably not a bad thing.

A lot to think about,
Rich

I'm in Richmond and love my Lang cooker. it's an offset with a warming cabinet and your price range even got me the gas option for the hot dog and hamburger crowd. Regulating temp is a snap and its easy cleanup too. I got the model 60, but maybe should have gotten the next size bigger.

Give me a shout if I can help.

modt60_thumb.jpg

http://www.pigroast.com

-Chiles[/url]

Depends on the pit you get...if you are going to get an offset I would look to get a gas assist put on as well.

Another Spicewine user here and I have to disagree that Stumps or the Backwoods are better. Maybe as good but not better. The quality of the SW is hard to beat and my food has never been better. Im sold. Go to the SW site and look at the hall of fame. You will see some happy Perrys.

Bruce B said:
Has he grown tired of those two WSM's already?

Not yet Bruce. I'll keep this short since I'm 'not supposed to know about this', but Amy asked me personal question the other day."for my birthday, would I prefer her to fly in my sister and nephews or get me something big'. Of course it was a no-brainer. Get me something big. My sister didn't fly me in to see her 40th. I think this came up because Roanke had a big BBQ recently and we couldn't attend due to us moving from Fairfax to Clifton and I mentioned something along the lines of 'how many ribs you think 10,000 people can eat and how many do you think we could make on our WSMs'.

You have to understand something: We did a chili cookoff there in April and there were about 10,000 people. We gave out 1000 chili samples (13 gallons of chili) and cooked three competition chili pots all by ourselves. The Harley owners and some retirement community were the only ones giving out more chili samples and each of their teams had at least 15 people in their booths. It was totally insane. I was probably joking, but Amy took me literal. Kinda like me wanting a chainsaw for firewood. You think I settled for a Poulon Pro or Craftsman? Nope. I researched between Stihl and Husqvarna and went with the Husqvarna 353.

I'm guessing that we will need to think about what we really want or need since I still don't know enough to cook competition and I haven't catered anything yet (nor really know how to make any decent sides). I'm thinking if I rolled up one day at work with a huge offset and served some ribs up for lunch at our company meeting, that I'd either get a promotion or get fired. I do have a standing invite to bring in any bbq since what y'all taught me has tasted pretty good so far.

We were kinda thinking of doing some carnival type events where you have to be able to cook a lot of stuff and obviously the WSMs can't do that. So, I'd probably post something later for anyone having advice on getting into different events. Me with ribs and roasted corn on the cob and Amy on funnel cakes and hot dogs. What we don't sell, we'll eat :)

OK. not so short, but hope you have a better picture now.

WildFireEric said:
Bruce B said:
Has he grown tired of those two WSM's already?

Not yet Bruce. I'll keep this short since I'm 'not supposed to know about this', but Amy asked me personal question the other day."for my birthday, would I prefer her to fly in my sister and nephews or get me something big'. Of course it was a no-brainer. Get me something big. My sister didn't fly me in to see her 40th. I think this came up because Roanke had a big BBQ recently and we couldn't attend due to us moving from Fairfax to Clifton and I mentioned something along the lines of 'how many ribs you think 10,000 people can eat and how many do you think we could make on our WSMs'.

You have to understand something: We did a chili cookoff there in April and there were about 10,000 people. We gave out 1000 chili samples (13 gallons of chili) and cooked three competition chili pots all by ourselves. The Harley owners and some retirement community were the only ones giving out more chili samples and each of their teams had at least 15 people in their booths. It was totally insane. I was probably joking, but Amy took me literal. Kinda like me wanting a chainsaw for firewood. You think I settled for a Poulon Pro or Craftsman? Nope. I researched between Stihl and Husqvarna and went with the Husqvarna 353.

I'm guessing that we will need to think about what we really want or need since I still don't know enough to cook competition and I haven't catered anything yet (nor really know how to make any decent sides). I'm thinking if I rolled up one day at work with a huge offset and served some ribs up for lunch at our company meeting, that I'd either get a promotion or get fired. I do have a standing invite to bring in any bbq since what y'all taught me has tasted pretty good so far.

We were kinda thinking of doing some carnival type events where you have to be able to cook a lot of stuff and obviously the WSMs can't do that. So, I'd probably post something later for anyone having advice on getting into different events. Me with ribs and roasted corn on the cob and Amy on funnel cakes and hot dogs. What we don't sell, we'll eat :)

OK. not so short, but hope you have a better picture now.

Eric, I understand exactly what you are saying and that is why I suggest checking out the Primo's at www.wolferub.com ! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom