I could only find this pork...(I't finished!! -Pics & Vi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I couldn't wait until Sams later today so I went and bought this...Do I BBQ it the same way? It looks like a raw ham. Do I need to trim the fat so the rub can get in? HELP..Please ,,,Pork Gurus!!!... :shock: At least it has a bone in it...

:idea:

Sapo, what's the sodium content on that??? The reason I ask is there are enhanced butts and picnics, meaning they're pumped up with a solution that contain broth which contains salt. If it is enhanced it will still work, but will have a "hammy" flavor to the finished produt and I would suggest cutting back on the salt in your rub if it is enhanced.

Howver, whether it's enhanced or not it will make good BBQ. Just remove the thick layer of skin and rub and cook 225-250* for approximately 1.5-2 hrs per lb until you get to 190*, foil and let rest in a cooler until you're ready to pull!

That's a Picnic Boy!
Good job and that'll work just fine.

Don't worry about trimming fat ot skin.
Wash that puppy and slather all down with some French's Yellow Mustard and RUB of yer choice.

Fire around 225 - 250 degrees

1.5 - 2 hours per pound.

The internal temp will slowly rise till it hits about 160 where it will platue for a couple hours as the Fat renders. After that it will start rising again. When she's at 200 degree yer pulling her off. Let it set 30 minutes to set and get double latex gloves and break her apart. Throw away fat and bones and anything you would not stick straight in yer mouth.

I say mix up a Vinegar sauce and slap on there next but that's just me. :roll:

Go Boy!

$1.18 ain't too bad but we get picnics around here for $.99 per pound.

Boston Butts are $1.39 per pound

I buy them biotches by the case which of course is cheaper.

I'll be cooking 16 - 20 Butts tonight myself.

Sappo....I would definatly trim the skin on...and I also trim the fat caps on my butts...there is enough internal marbleling to keep it moist...if you trim you'll end up with more bark and more of a deep smokey flavor...the smoke will have a hard time getting thru the skin and a lot of fat...Just my .02

Mike Hedrick said:
That's a Picnic Boy!
Good job and that'll work just fine.

Don't worry about trimming fat ot skin.
Wash that puppy and slather all down with some French's Yellow Mustard and RUB of yer choice.

Fire around 225 - 250 degrees

1.5 - 2 hours per pound.

The internal temp will slowly rise till it hits about 160 where it will platue for a couple hours as the Fat renders. After that it will start rising again. When she's at 200 degree yer pulling her off. Let it set 30 minutes to set and get double latex gloves and break her apart. Throw away fat and bones and anything you would not stick straight in yer mouth.

I say mix up a Vinegar sauce and slap on there next but that's just me. :roll:

Go Boy!
I will try it out now... It's going to be a trip.. I have a one prob mavirick for now...Is it ok to put a pan under it for water and catch drippings? I'm going to make it in the Kamado...

wittdog said:
Sappo....I would definatly trim the skin on...and I also trim the fat caps on my butts...there is enough internal marbleling to keep it moist...if you trim you'll end up with more bark and more of a deep smokey flavor...the smoke will have a hard time getting thru the skin and a lot of fat...Just my .02
Ok... I have a few good ideas from you Gurus... thanks... :D

Don't set it in a pan. A pan way under is fine but set the meat on the rack bro.

After Bible study this morning I'm heading to Sam's or BJ to get a ton of meat to cook too. Yer gonna get hooked on pulled pork once you do this bro. Yer beef eating friends will love you except the ones who smell that pork smoke for 14 hours. lol

Larry Wolfe said:
surfinsapo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":391fwwnq]Sapo, what's the sodium content on that???

sodium = 65mg Is that ok?

Perfect, that's a fresh non enhanced picnic!! It's gonna be awesome!![/quote:391fwwnq]You don't mind if I try out Bknox's Rub on it? I just got it yesterday...I allready know your's rocks!!

surfinsapo said:
Larry Wolfe said:
surfinsapo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":eek:h3kkhsz]Sapo, what's the sodium content on that???

sodium = 65mg Is that ok?

Perfect, that's a fresh non enhanced picnic!! It's gonna be awesome!!
You don't mind if I try out Bknox's Rub on it? I just got it yesterday...I allready know your's rocks!![/quote:eek:h3kkhsz]

Why in the World would I mind??? Hell if you eat Wolfe Rub all the time you will get bored with it. You're gonna like Knox rubs, they're good!!!

Ok. Yall...Here goes nutin!!!Wish me Luck... The Kamado is fired up...BBL.. With a good pork meal...not frankensteins monster,,,, :shock:

Hey BOY Don't throw away that Thick skin!!! You can make Cracklins with that, cut it into about 2in squares cover with rub & bake till crisp Or deep fry em.
That what I'm makin saterday a Picnic piggy roast

007bond-jb said:
Hey BOY Don't throw away that Thick skin!!! You can make Cracklins with that, cut it into about 2in squares cover with rub & bake till crisp Or deep fry em.
That what I'm makin saterday a Picnic piggy roast
I allready made then and ate them JB... I'm uploading the video right now.... they were killer chiharones!!!!!!

There are a few ways to handle the skin. Linda, my wife, likes me to take it off in one piece, rub the meat and tie the skin back on, so the rub is beneath it, then rub the skin. Cooked this way, the meat under the skin is pure Miss White. Although I'm a big Mr. Brown fan, I like this method too, it seems to force the flavor of the rub deep into the meat. I especially like the method with that Fennel rub I've talked about.

You can leave the skin on, treat it just like meat surface, slather and rub in your usual way, and cook your pork as you usually do. Don't confuse the skin on a picnic with, say, the fat cap on a beef brisket. Thoroughly cooked pig skin is more than palatable, it's delicious. But, the presence of the skin will keep you from getting any rub on the meat, and from getting any Mr. Brown at all.

You can remove the skin and make cracklings a k a chicharron (o chicharrones, si te prefieres) in either of the ways JB said. More traditional, is to cut the skin in pieces, put it in a heavy pot or skillet, add just enough water to cover the skins, and bring the water to a simmer on a medium-low to medium fire. The simmering water will eventually evaporate leaving the skin to fry in the fat rendered from it. When the skins are GBD, remove, salt, and drain.

Allow the rendered fat to partially cool, then strain it through a fine sieve. Store covered in the refrigerator. It is one of the best of all possible cooking fats. Wonderful for baking, e.g., the best of all possible pie crusts. Wonderful for frying. The new health dogma is that it's actually better for you (or at least no worse) than hydrogenated (another way of saying "tans-fat") vegetable shortenings such as Crisco.

Rich

I feel a lot of love in this post!

I agree with JB. Some fresh cracklins would be nice with some hot sauce and cold beer while your waiting.

Larry,

I could not wait and rubbed up some chickens with your original rub. It was excellent and can hardly wait until this weekend when I am cooking the loin. I think I am going to use the bold on it. What you said to SS is right, I am tired of my own rubs and am happy to have yours on my counter reporting for duty.

It's been 8.5 hours and the internal temp is 165... Getting closer Yall.... I guess I can run to the grocery store to buy the fixins... My wife don't like slaw though.. I can make me some.. :D I'm going to make a few digfferent sauces... What kind of bread or buns should I get? Something fresh for sure.. Thanks for your help yall.. It looks like a meteorite now, so I guess that's good.... :shock: o

Back
Top Bottom