New Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
I just received a my new thermometer, well the other day but just found time to play with it.

It is a Maverick Redi•Check remote smoker thermometer and have a question for individuals who use this or similar product. This thermometer has 2 probes, one for the food and one for the smoke chamber.

My current understanding is that the actual smoker, in my case a side smoker box, is not where the meat is smoked. I do not understand why I would want to know the temperature if there is no food cooking in there.

The actual question;
Do I place the smoker probe near the meat and the food probe IN the meat?

When I was a kid we would dig a hole. Start a huge fire late the night before. Lay a split pig in it when the coals had evened out. Lay a sheet of tin on it and bury it for 12 or so hours. Now I have 2 probes. ;-)

Well, let me qualify my answer. I don't have a therm like you have with 2 probes but believe that to be true.

lol
I should end all my replies....

Believe it or Not.
:LOL:

It seems like placing one in the food and one near the food would be most accurate no matter what the actual directions are. I thought I would ask to get a little back up before guessing.

You make me think of a guy who is a lawyer who ends many sentances with "or at least that is what I think". With a couple or 10 beers inhim he will do it when talking BS. Really funny.

He also says "I respectfully will have to disagree". Usually when the conversation called for one of these we would be looking around for rope or duct tape. LOL

One goes in the meat for internal cooking temp, the other goes near the meat at grill level to monitor the camber temp for long cookin!! You bought a good product. Enjoy and tell us the results!! :D

So far I am like a kid. We never owned grills etc as a kid. Like I said we would dig a hole to cook a pig, and pig was about it.

Now I have a new grill, birthday present, and a fancy thermometer and I have a short list of all kinds of other things from modifying the grill to accessories. I totally understand the obsession. Now I need to achieve some results worth eating so my wife will understand as well (and approve the new purchases etc) ;)

bknox said:
Now I need to achieve some results worth eating so my wife will understand as well (and approve the new purchases etc) ;)

No matter what you make sure to give the wife whatever her heart desires BBQ wise. It will make your life much much easier.

I know cause thats what I do with my husband. If he even remotely mentions he feels like something I am off immediately to the grocers and the butchers !

bknox said:
So far I am like a kid. We never owned grills etc as a kid. Like I said we would dig a hole to cook a pig, and pig was about it.

Now I have a new grill, birthday present, and a fancy thermometer and I have a short list of all kinds of other things from modifying the grill to accessories. I totally understand the obsession. Now I need to achieve some results worth eating so my wife will understand as well (and approve the new purchases etc) ;)
Hey we think alike bro...Right-On!!

Cut a potatoe in half and stick the smoker probe through it to help hold it up. Have fun with the new toy :D

Bryan,

You're a bit confused by unfamiliar terminology. Don't worry about it.

You have an "offset smoker." A smoker is also called, a pit, a cooker, and a few other things. There are other kinds of smokers without offsets. For instance "cabinets" and "bullets." Your round type is a "drum," "barrel" or "pipe" smoker. Square types are called "consoles"

Whether console or pipe, all offsets have two chambers. The smaller one is the offset firebox. The larger one is the cooking chamber. Sometimes the firebox is referred to as the offset. Sometimes the cooking chamber is referred to as the cook, smoke or smoking chamber. Even though the smoke is made in the firebox, the smoking (aka barbecuing) is done in the cooking chamber.

Your Maverick Redi-Check is so common in the world of barbecuing that it's also known by its model number, ET-73. When someone says they have a Maverick, they almost always mean an ET-73. If they have an ET-7 or an ET-72, they'll say so. Redi-Check is the name Maverick puts on its entire line of thermometers. No one uses it out loud. Not even Maverick.

Here's some information on the thermometer itself, and how to use it:

The chamber probe is the short, straight probe with the blunt end. It goes along with the little spring clamp. You insert the prongs of the spring clamp between two bars in the cooking grate, then push the probe through the holes. You should measure the smoker's cook chamber temperatures on both sides of where you put your meat, as well as measuirng it as close to the thickets part of the meat.

You do this by putting the probe in an appropriate place to the left of where your meat will eventually go, closing the cook chamber door and giving the cooker enough time for the temperature to stabilize -- at least ten minutes after closing the door. Then measure the temperature to the right of where your meat will go in the same way. If the differential is more than 15 degrees or so, you'll have to rotate the meat occasionally during cooking, or else "tune" your pit to lessen the differential to an acceptable level.

From what you've written, I know you'll want to start on tuning your pit right away. The easiest way to get a good tune on a small offset is with a loaf pan used as a water pan, and a large rectangular pan used as a drip pan. If it's something you're interested in doing, shoot me a line and we'll get into it. Or, start a new thread here and get lots of feedback, some from other Char-Griller owners.

Once you've measured the differential, set your chamber probe where you think it will most accurately reflect the heat of the chamber at the product, and get your meat in there. The "meat" probe goes into the thickest part of the meat -- but you don't want any part of the probe to touch bone, and you don't want the tip, where the sensor is actually located) to land in fat.

Cleaning:

When you clean your thermometer probes, be careful not to submerge the probes and leads in water. If they get wet, they will short out. Guaranteed. Clean the probes and leads with a damp scotch-brite. When cleaning, always hold the probe and lead in such a way so as not to strain the lead where it goes into the probe.

Hope this helps,
Rich

My ET-73 requires that it be turned on (main unit) with the remote turned on shortly after. The main unit is a pain because the back must be removed to access the on/off switch. Do yourself a favor and drill an access hole in that cover so it does not need to be removed.
I also us a zip-lock sandwich box when Q'ing in the rain. cut a small hole in the lid to threat the probes through. Then turn the box lid side down and the controller will stay dry.

Rag,

Opening the door IS a bit of a drag. It's pretty easy with a dime or penny, but otherwise it's a thumbnail buster. The reason the switch is behind the cover is to keep the electronics -- switch, board, battery holder, the works -- protected from moisture by an o-ring. In fact, if you don't drill into it, the case is darn near weatherproof.

No shortage of irony here,
Rich

Wow, Thanks for all the talk about the new thermometer. I turned it on and remotely watched the temperature on some chicken I was cooking on the stove top. How cool!

Glenn, it has been a while since we buried a pig but I do not remember it being hard. It seems besides preparing the pig and digging the hole we basically sat around a drank. I never remember it ever being dry or burned. I think the masterful artform was in the sauces, the pig kind of took care of itself. We would make and people would bring various bbq sauces (and other sauces wink wink). I still make my own.

I am going to have to review some of the other posts more closely in the morning, my eyes are dry and in need of a beer.

Here is a recipe I still use a lot. Barbecue is a bit like Jerk seasoning, you will find recipes as simple as ketchup, mustard and brown sugar to crazy hard to make. I prefer this sauce chunky but can also be blended smooth. Also this recipe calls for Tamarind paste, an ingredient I started using when living near Asian markets and is readily available in Mexican markets. It is bitter and can be made from buying Tamarind pods but the paste is easy. You could replace it with a tablespoon of lime juice.

BBQ Sauce - Tomato Based
We call this Tim's BBQ sauce as he ruined pounds of food making a sauce everybody liked.

• 2 tablespoons butter or more
• 2 medium onions - diced medium
• 1 pablano pepper, diced small
• 1 fat jalapeno pepper - diced small
• 1 red pepper - diced small

• 1/2 cup of brown sugar - packed
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (1/8 cup red wine. 1/8 cup vinegar)
• 2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce
• 1 1/2 cups of ketchup
• 1 or so tablespoons of yellow mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 2 medium cloves fresh garlic - crushed and minced
• 1 teaspoon tamarind paste

• 6 pasilla peppers, toasted, de-seeded and ground into fine powder
• zest of 1 lemon
• juice of same lemon

In a sauce pan sautee onions and peppers in the butter until onions are turning brown and sweet.

Add brown sugar, red wine vinegar, worchestershire, ketchup, nustard, cinnamon, chicken broth, garlic amd tamarind paste. and bring to a slow boil.

Add the fresh ground toasted passilla, lemon zest and juice. Now I will taste it and add more brown sugar or vinegar depending on how I feel. Stir and slowly cook until it is as thick as you want it.

Enjoy!

You can also but another meat probe from mavrick & use it for 2 peices of meat

boar_d_laze said:
"tune" your pit to lessen the differential to an acceptable level.

Rich,

Tuning sounds like something I should do immidiately. I would like to know more about making my new grill better tuned(?), in tune(?). I like the thought of having a well tuned grill. The grill manufacturer should tell you this right after the part about seasoning the grates. I will check the temps as you described Friday or Saturday.

Should I do this test with an even layer of coals in the cooking chamber as well as the firebox? Just so I am clear, I am looking for cool spots inside the cooking chamber?

Back
Top Bottom