"packing" lump???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
I was reading another forum and someone was talking about "packing" lump. Refering to packing lump in the charcoal ring of a WSM to get a longer burn time. I've never heard this before...does anyone here to this? And how do you pack it anyways?

I do this all the time. Sort of like figuring out a jigsaw puzzle.

I find that by carefully packing in the tray I get a much longer burn.

Love2<º((((>< said:
I was reading another forum and someone was talking about "packing" lump. Refering to packing lump in the charcoal ring of a WSM to get a longer burn time. I've never heard this before...does anyone here to this? And how do you pack it anyways?

Here's what they're referring to:

Pick the lengths and sizes so they fit tight together. Break up longer pieces if you need to so that they fit tightly. Shake the charcoal ring several times during the process to settle the lump.

Well unless you can score some Ozark Oak I skip the lump thang on any R2D2 type gizmo. How do you speel Kingsford brickettes?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well unless you can score some Ozark Oak I skip the lump thang on any R2D2 type gizmo. How do you speel Kingsford brickettes?

bigwheel

K-I-N-G-S-F-O-R-D

Thats probably what Im gonna do...I should learn the simple way then try out other things.

The Ozark Oak that BW is talking about has pcs that are not real real big. It is pretty easy to pack that brand using the swishing, pushing down and tapping the entire lower unit on the concrete a bit. :D

I am anxious to try Rancher brand. ;)

If you use the Kingsford..you will probably have issues with ash build up during the cook...which is why I prefer lump.

Here's how I do it (a little bit different from what others have posted): I don't pour my lit coals on top of the unlit when I start the WSM. Instead, I pour them in a pile at one side of the charcoal ring. So, while the chimney is lighting, I pour lump into the charcoal ring to about 2/3 full, then push it to one side to make a "hole" to pour the lit coals into. This requires moving and "swishing around" the lump, like Burnt Food Dude described. I end up with a pretty tightly packed load of lump, with an empty space at one side. When the coals in the chimney are ready, I dump them into the hole, giving me a small, hot fire that will gradually spread as the cook progresses.

I don't think you need to pack the lump perfectly (like playing the old computer game Tetris). If you just put your hands on top of the pile, and move them back and forth a little bit, the pieces will settle together well enough to eliminate any big air pockets.

I just use the Rancher charcoal from HD. It is nice and compact, but still 100% hardwood charcoal...a 20lb bag of it is probably less than 1/2 the size of a BGE 20 # bag..

I ran 2 WSM this weekend for 18+ on a little more than 20 pounds of it...

I get a long burn without "packing". But the ceramics have better air flow control than the WSMs. What ever floats your boat :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom