Thinking of starting a Catering biz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spydermike72

Assistant Cook
Good Evening all,

I have been thinking about this for a while now, and the more I think about it the more I keep asking myself why not ?

For those that do cater, other than contacting the DHE and things like that, did any of you have a buisness plan ? A marketing plan ? or did you just start advertising and build from word of mouth ?
Also, what about type of smoker ? If you are doing an onsite gig, it seems to me that you would need something that would make the clients mouth drop ! Like a nice pull behind rig or something.

Just looking for a little info.

Thanks!!

Michael

Well if the health goons is abbreviated DHE suggest you leave them plumb out of the pitcher. Just start catering and set aside about 10% to pay the legal beagles if they happen to pounce. Might go 20 years afore you bump heads with one. If you do tell em you be down bright and early on Monday to get a permit. Keep plenty of bleach on hand. Health goons love bleach..table clothes..and covered overhangs to cook under. They afraid a bird will fly overhead and take a poo poo on your brisket it all I can figger on that deal. Whuts the odds huh? Do word of mouf..flyers and bizness cards. No signs..no yellow or want ad pages. Chances are you never meet a health goon less you happen to kill somebody with your cooking. Be safe in other words. Use plenty of bleach.

bigwheel

wdroller said:
spydermike72 said:
Good Evening all,

I have been thinking about this for a while now, and the more I think about it the more I keep asking myself why not ?

For those that do cater, other than contacting the DHE and things like that, did any of you have a buisness plan ? A marketing plan ? or did you just start advertising and build from word of mouth ?
Also, what about type of smoker ? If you are doing an onsite gig, it seems to me that you would need something that would make the clients mouth drop ! Like a nice pull behind rig or something.

Just looking for a little info.

Thanks!!

Michael

Well, spydermike, I looked up Flushing, MI on Map Quest inasmuch as I'm heading up to Spring Lake tomorrow morning to see my son, and I figure you got only about 10, maybe 15 day outta the summer when you can get outside and light a fire to cook! :) :) Have you thought about opening up a bar, a skating rink, buying a hockey team, maybe even stacking a lotta dirt and going in to the downhill ski business? Have you considered a used snowmobile business. :) :)

But, if you do get into the catering business, I wish you well!

Hey Wdroller,

It is not that bad here :) We can get about 20-25 days now woth global warming!!

wdroller said:
spydermike72 said:
wdroller said:

Well, spydermike, I looked up Flushing, MI on Map Quest inasmuch as I'm heading up to Spring Lake tomorrow morning to see my son, and I figure you got only about 10, maybe 15 day outta the summer when you can get outside and light a fire to cook! :) :) Have you thought about opening up a bar, a skating rink, buying a hockey team, maybe even stacking a lotta dirt and going in to the downhill ski business? Have you considered a used snowmobile business. :) :)

But, if you do get into the catering business, I wish you well!

Hey Wdroller,

It is not that bad here :) We can get about 20-25 days now woth global warming!!

Does that mean you be wishing Big Al (Gore) was runnin' again?[/quote]

Uhhh No!!! Just my attempt at humor...

Mike, I am in the greater Cleveland area. Private message me and I'll send you my phone #. You can call me and come down if you want to see what I do. Woody

ZBQ said:
Just to clarify.

I was kidding Mike.

Dave is a good guy, he's just busy. :D

Seriously, I'd do Q with him any day!! [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

I understand Z, I have PM'd Woody and I am sure that he will get back as soon as he can. Thanks again for the offer Woody, and the heads up Z :D

Real lucky here the Health Dept does not get into catering at private parties so I can do what I want to do

Hey Thom..sounds like yall got some sensible health goons in your neck of the woods. Only person I know who ever got busted was tattled on by the other outlaw caterer who had the gig previously. Fortunantly he had plenty of bleach:) They give him a verbal warning and say come down Monday to get a permit. I think he forgot to show up on that deal.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom