Brine Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
I was checking out this recipe in the forum

Ginger Citrus Brine for chicken

1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed blood oranges
6 cups water
3/4 cup kosher salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 cup pure Canadian maple syrup
1 tsp red pepper flakes

looks good to me! But am wondering how long to let it set. I have brined in the past and the chicken fell off the bone but not in a good way, because it was soft. It was kind of wierd. I contributed this to letting it stand to long.

How long would you let chicken soak in brine?

Thanks,
Bryan

I would have to vote for 8 hrs for splits...12 for wholes...parts is parts..4 hrs on those. A good brine normally wont denature your meat as described. Usual culprit is too much acid or any form of meat tenderizer. Pineapple juice could surely do the trick. Too much wooster and some forms of buttermilk will do it too. Not sure how much destructivness the oranges contain but dont suspect too much. I would suggest subbing out some mild molasses for the Maple Syrup. Real Maple just get lost in the shuffle and come out sweet on the far end. B'rer Rabbit Mild is good stuff.

bigwheel

Thanks! Yep I was thinking of substituting the Maple Syrup as I do not have any. I have plenty of molasses and honey.

I can't remember the recipe I had used before as it was a while ago and I was not impressed witht the results. Maybe this new one will work out better for me. I will try take pictures.

Thanks again,
Bryan

PS: Back home Bryan is pronounced Brine. ;)

Hi Bryan that is the brine recipe I posted.

I do 36 chicken thighs in it overnight max.

The oranges don't break down the proteins too much.

I also don't find it overly sweet at all. However it does depend on what kind of maple syrup and the grade you use.

Back
Top Bottom