Beef Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you share how you do your beef ribs??

I have never had any success with them-other than for roasting them off and using them for stock.

well, this is the first time I've tried it this way....I grilled em indirect
for an hour or so...the fat was sizzling...now I just put em in foil
with some water, woos and red wine...I'll let em sit in there for
a couple of hours and check em. Then finish out of the foil
and then sauce.

Might not be good, but I'll let you know. The only bones my dog
can have is beef bones, so he's happy.

Diva,

I know you like to cook, so here's a recipe with some indoor kitchen technique as well. I think you'll enjoy the sieve and butter finished sauce, plus it's tomato/ stock/ espresso base. French twisted, if you will.

Marinade: Make a marinade by combining red wine and Worcestershire sauce in approxmately equal proportions (advantage wine). Make sure the meat is well coated with the liquid and allow to marinate anywhere from 1/2 hour up to overnight. As you already know the marinade combines with the meat's juices and results in a thick syrup; and this syrup is an excellent slather for holding the rub.

Rub:
8 tbs salt
4 tbs freshly ground piloncillo (or substitute light brown sugar)
2 tbs freshly coarse ground or cracked black pepper
2 tbs smoked paprika; or 1 tbs each ground chipotle and sweet paprika; or 1 tbs each smoked paprika and California Chili
1 tbs granulated garlic
1 tbs granulated onion
1 tsp sage
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp fenugreek (optional)

This rub is an exception to the "no sugar on beef" rule. Why? Because we all like our ribs a little sweet. Rub ribs generously everywhere.

Prep smoker to run at 250, cook approximately 6 hours. The two best woods for smoking beef ribs are IMO oak and mesquite. Oak is strong, and mesquite very strong. If you're running a bullet or small offset on charcoal plus chunk or chips, discontinue adding mesquite at 2-1/2 hours and oak at 3. At the five hour mark, begin brushing with sauce or glaze.

When the meat is done, it will have drawn well back on the rack -- sometimes creating a popsicle appearance, but sometimes not. The surest test is actually surface texture. If you've run a fairly steady 250, the surface texture will be the same as an ideal brisket bark. The internal temp (impossible to read, though) will be right around 190. The slab will exhibit some bend, but it's not as good a diagnostic with pork because it's more dependent on meatiness -- which is highly variable.

Sauce
1/2 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbs olive oil
2 cups ketchup
1 cup beef stock
1 cup piloncillo (or substitute 1/2 cup molasses plus 1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup (inexpensive) balsamic
1/4 cup espresso
1/4 cup worcestershire
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup dark rum or bourbon
1 tbs chipotle hot sauce (Bufalo is better than Tabasco, if you can get it).
Fresh ground pepper
1 stick butter, chilled and cut into 6 pieces.

Saute the onion until translucent, add the garlic and saute until the onion starts to show color, but remove from heat if the garlic's color gets ahead of the onion (it will get bitter) Add the remaining ingredients (except butter) and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust for sweet - sour and salt and pepper. Underseason slightly as flavors will develop. A good idea is to add enough pepper so you can just see it after it's stirred into the sauce, then salt to balance. Simmer slowly for about 1/2 hour until barely nappe. Remove from heat, force through a fine sieve, return to pan. Bring back to a simmer, and remove from heat. Using reserved heat, whisk butter in one piece at a time. Wait until each piece is at least 3/4 melted before adding the next. After four pieces the sauce should have a deep shine and a velvety texture. If so -- you're done. Save the remaining butter for something else. If not, add the two final pieces as before.

Rich

ON EDIT: Piloncillo is very raw Mexican sugar. Much rawer than "turbinado" or even "muscovy." The cane is crushed, the juice is boiled thick then poured into cone shaped (piloncillo) molds. To use it, bust it into pieces with a hammer and reserve a few pieces for tea or coffee (divine!), then grind the rest in a mill or blender. If you can't find it you can substitute Indian raw sugar (jaggery aka gur), muscovy, turbinado or brown. Molasses/honey makes a fair liquid substitute.

Yall Ain't listenin to me BOYs & Gal. I am the Beef Rib Master.... Smoke ring & all. I'm do sum dis weekend using my famous fee fi fo fum method. Meantime search for my past post on Beef ribs...Are You Payin Attention!!!!
JB

Boy, what you thinking? If I can't pay the 'lectric, I sure as hell ain't payin' attention.

boar_d_laze said:
Boy, what you thinking? If I can't pay the 'lectric, I sure as hell ain't payin' attention.

Yall don't worry ol Rich is from Ca he got the good stuff to smoke, All we got down here is swamp weed. You do a nice job on yer post Boy, Ok Lets see some finished Photos/video? How bout some Ca girls, hell anything

Whew that ingredient list look like "War and Peace." Can't you figger a few mo things to put in there? I know it bound to be misssing something just cant figger out whut :LOL:

bigwheel

boar_d_laze said:
Diva,

I know you like to cook, so here's a recipe with some indoor kitchen technique as well. I think you'll enjoy the sieve and butter finished sauce, plus it's tomato/ stock/ espresso base. French twisted, if you will.

Marinade: Make a marinade by combining red wine and Worcestershire sauce in approxmately equal proportions (advantage wine). Make sure the meat is well coated with the liquid and allow to marinate anywhere from 1/2 hour up to overnight. As you already know the marinade combines with the meat's juices and results in a thick syrup; and this syrup is an excellent slather for holding the rub.

Rub:
8 tbs salt
4 tbs freshly ground piloncillo (or substitute light brown sugar)
2 tbs freshly coarse ground or cracked black pepper
2 tbs smoked paprika; or 1 tbs each ground chipotle and sweet paprika; or 1 tbs each smoked paprika and California Chili
1 tbs granulated garlic
1 tbs granulated onion
1 tsp sage
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp fenugreek (optional)

This rub is an exception to the "no sugar on beef" rule. Why? Because we all like our ribs a little sweet. Rub ribs generously everywhere.

Prep smoker to run at 250, cook approximately 6 hours. The two best woods for smoking beef ribs are IMO oak and mesquite. Oak is strong, and mesquite very strong. If you're running a bullet or small offset on charcoal plus chunk or chips, discontinue adding mesquite at 2-1/2 hours and oak at 3. At the five hour mark, begin brushing with sauce or glaze.

When the meat is done, it will have drawn well back on the rack -- sometimes creating a popsicle appearance, but sometimes not. The surest test is actually surface texture. If you've run a fairly steady 250, the surface texture will be the same as an ideal brisket bark. The internal temp (impossible to read, though) will be right around 190. The slab will exhibit some bend, but it's not as good a diagnostic with pork because it's more dependent on meatiness -- which is highly variable.

Sauce
1/2 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbs olive oil
2 cups ketchup
1 cup beef stock
1 cup piloncillo (or substitute 1/2 cup molasses plus 1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup (inexpensive) balsamic
1/4 cup espresso
1/4 cup worcestershire
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup dark rum or bourbon
1 tbs chipotle hot sauce (Bufalo is better than Tabasco, if you can get it).
Fresh ground pepper
1 stick butter, chilled and cut into 6 pieces.

Saute the onion until translucent, add the garlic and saute until the onion starts to show color, but remove from heat if the garlic's color gets ahead of the onion (it will get bitter) Add the remaining ingredients (except butter) and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust for sweet - sour and salt and pepper. Underseason slightly as flavors will develop. A good idea is to add enough pepper so you can just see it after it's stirred into the sauce, then salt to balance. Simmer slowly for about 1/2 hour until barely nappe. Remove from heat, force through a fine sieve, return to pan. Bring back to a simmer, and remove from heat. Using reserved heat, whisk butter in one piece at a time. Wait until each piece is at least 3/4 melted before adding the next. After four pieces the sauce should have a deep shine and a velvety texture. If so -- you're done. Save the remaining butter for something else. If not, add the two final pieces as before.

Rich

ON EDIT: Piloncillo is very raw Mexican sugar. Much rawer than "turbinado" or even "muscovy." The cane is crushed, the juice is boiled thick then poured into cone shaped (piloncillo) molds. To use it, bust it into pieces with a hammer and reserve a few pieces for tea or coffee (divine!), then grind the rest in a mill or blender. If you can't find it you can substitute Indian raw sugar (jaggery aka gur), muscovy, turbinado or brown. Molasses/honey makes a fair liquid substitute.

Whew that ingredient list look like "War and Peace." Can't you figger a few mo things to put in there? I know it bound to be misssing something just cant figger out whut

Tony C's :LOL:

well I eated em. They were fair...pic when I get home.
they shrunk up a lot...tasted like pot roast on a stick
in some bites, good steaky flavor in others.

Back
Top Bottom