A Tempreature Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I was reading a post on the TVWB where a guy was going to try an extra long cook...not the point...the question is this:

What is the correct temp for cooking pork butts? I have tried to keep my WSM around 230 or so during the cook. However, it seems to have taken incredibly long the last few times...and I don't think it was the fat plateaus we all know about.

Do I need to cook my butts at a higher, let's say 240's, temp to get the job done in a more timely manner? I know it's not about rushing, I'm not saying that. I just want to make sure I am cooking at the right temp!

Thanks! :!:

Sometimes it just seems to take way longer then others...I am just trying to re-assure myself that I am doing the right thing, I guess??! :)

This opinion comes from a an award winning bbq'er. :!:

If I have a choice, I like to go between 200 and 220.

If I need to save a little time, I take it up to 240 to 250.

I have on occasion started at much higher temps to get the juices flowing, then backed down to a lower temp when the butt reaches around
135...this allows the meat to heat up, but still gives you a long slow render.

I almost always cook at 210* - 220*. My butts take almost always 2 - 2 1/2 hours per pound. 8 pound butts I give myself 24 hours. If done earlier, I just let it sit wrapped in the cooler.

Greg, the rule of thumb I go by is (dome temp between 240-265) no lower, no higher. That makes very consistent (2hr per lb) cooks for me. Each cook may take a bit longer or less than others, but keeping a consistent smoker temp every time will produce consistent cooks.

Raine said:
On the WSM at competition we have cooking about 7-8 lb butts around 11 hours at around 240-250°.

Raine, are you going by a top grate temp or dome temp temp?

Captain Morgan said:
This opinion comes from a an award winning bbq'er. :!:

If I have a choice, I like to go between 200 and 220.

If I need to save a little time, I take it up to 240 to 250.

I have on occasion started at much higher temps to get the juices flowing, then backed down to a lower temp when the butt reaches around
135...this allows the meat to heat up, but still gives you a long slow render.

Who's this award winning BBQr you're quoting? :) #-o =D>

Greg,

I always try to keep my dome temp at 235-250. If I'm there I know my top grate temp is 220-235. That's right where I like to keep my temps for butts, ribs and brisket. I really don't get all that upset if the dome temps creep up a bit, especially with that large a piece of meat, but I will try to get it back down into range.

Good timing on this question....I just did about 15 lbs. on the top grate of my WSM friday nite. One 6 lbs. and a 9 pounder cut in half for xtra bark. I really couldn't get my temp over 210 (grate level), maybe it was some wet charcoal or something, it was pretty crappy out, maybe it was the 8 pounds of beans I put on the bottom rack, not sure. The short of it is that after about 11 hours, I was only at about 170*!! I would of just kept running it with more charcoal (when it's done, it's done), but the weather was gonna get really bad, so I foiled 'em and put them in the oven at 225 for a couple of 3 hours, and they were at a nice 200-205*. Pulled beautifully, I think I had better bark (not as crusty) running at the lower temp...the beans were another story...

Rob

Back
Top Bottom