Wet behind the ears.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axlelift

Assistant Cook
Newbe here!! Have those that have taken a BBQ cooking school found them worth it, and anybody taken one with limited time at BBQ only to go into business after? My reason is I sold a nonrelated business and now hope to open a ma & pa BBQ, more ma than pa.

home is nw Pa. No BBQ here, wife worked in her mom and dads dinor and than as a waitress at truck stops when first married, 30 yrs ago,

I'd spend a good bit of time finding out the tastes of your
community regarding bbq...at least offer a choice of
what they like and expect instead of trying to convert
everyone.

I would convert them. I know PA is the BBQ capital of the world but people that seem to make it in BBQ in areas not know for BBQ either go NC, TX, or KC... If you can meld the best of all 3 then you'll have a winner.

Just remember... you have to serve slaw. ;)

ain't nobody gettin rich on Carolina bbq outside the Carolinas.
I'd serve it, but it's gonna be hard to get em to taste it.
They'll want thick industrial sludge bbq sauce over
ribs and even the pulled pork...so you better have a good
sauce! That's all they'll taste.

Captain Morgan said:
ain't nobody gettin rich on Carolina bbq outside the Carolinas.
I'd serve it, but it's gonna be hard to get em to taste it.
They'll want thick industrial sludge bbq sauce over
ribs and even the pulled pork...so you better have a good
sauce! That's all they'll taste.

You never leave Myrtle Beach... what do you know. :roll:

Place by my house serves up some great Carolina type BBQ.
Sauce on the side (not needed) and it's fantastic!

Classes are dealing mostly with competitons...you won't find much help in the eatery business attending one of those! ;)

I haved a few ideas for you. First, see of you can find Jeff from Poboys on this site. He is from Central PA and very well in tune with the regionalization of flavor for BBQ. I think I remember Jeff telling me that he uses lots of things like molasas, brown sugar, etc when cooking in PA.

Even in Virginia, I have a hard time pleasing everyone with a single sauce. I like Carolina style, but a lot of people want the thick stuff. I have to cringe and hold my breath when I see people drown the meat in sauce that I rubbed, injected and lovingly cared for thru the cooking. The last cook I did was for a friend and his wife (who is a great cook) made a rub that was heavily cummin based. She even roasted the seeds before mixing them in the rub to bring out the flavor even more. I was not sure how it was going to go over, but the crowd loved it. Who would have thunk it?

I'm pretty new at this too, but I'm taking it very seriously and will continue to do so as long as I am having fun and people are enjoying what I cook.

Chiles

Well, I'm one to jump in with both feet and than ask how deep!! Yes Finney creamy slaw, and captain is right about sweet and thick on pulled pork. My wife and I took a nine day southern trip and stopped at private (nofransice(sp)) places. tasted mostly pulled pork, slaw, and salids, maybe because we're "yanks" we did not like vinagar based sauce. Back home I asked where people got BBQ and we have a Smokey Bones 25 miles away, and every one including me and wife like their pulled pork. That is my compitition around here.

Back
Top Bottom