Doing butt and brisket for the first time tomorrow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

The butt is 3 lbs and the brisket is small- about 1.5 pounds.
I'm going to start first thing in the morning.
Any tips on cooking times?
I know the butt will take longer so I'll put it on first.
Also have a rack of St. Louis.
I will post pics of all this wether it be a disaster or a success. :eek:

One more silly question- what would be the best way to position the meat on the top and bottom racks of the smoker?
Ribs on top and butt/brisket on bottom?

GlennR said:
I don't know what you're cooking on but here is what I would do.
It's a very cheap Brinkman smoker. The temps are hard to regulate.
Thanks for the tips, though.

And I will def. put the brisket under the butt!

GlennR said:
You must have gotten PM's from some other folks on the site... You used none of my suggestions! :D Good for you for following your own gut!

Looks good and I hope you get the results you are looking for. Enjoy your independence day! :cheers
I tried, but there was no other way to arrange it! I will be foiling the brisket very shortly...

GlennR said:
You must have gotten PM's from some other folks on the site... You used none of my suggestions! :D Good for you for following your own gut!

Looks good and I hope you get the results you are looking for. Enjoy your independence day! :cheers

lol!

Brinkmans are a good way to learn about temp controls,
when you get a wsm or any other smoker the knowledge will
be valuable. Practice practice practice..

Results- not so great.
Ribs were cooked perfectly, but the brisket was as dry as shoe leather.
Way overcooked I'm assuming.
Pork butt was cooked through, but not tender enough to be pulled. I put it in the crock pot.

Brisket

brisket and ribs

butt

erik13 said:
Results- not so great.
Ribs were cooked perfectly, but the brisket was as dry as shoe leather.
Way overcooked I'm assuming.
Pork butt was cooked through, but not tender enough to be pulled. I put it in the crock pot.
From the photos, it looks like the built-in Brinkman thermometer is the only one you're using. I've heard they're not very useful. In addition to the cooker temp, keeping track of the meat temps is essential for knowing where you are in the cook -- including when to foil, when to remove. You might want to think about getting yourself a Maverick ET-73, which a lot of people on this board use and recommend.

--John 8)
(Especially Larry and Finney. ;) )

Unity said:
From the photos, it looks like the built-in Brinkman thermometer is the only one you're using. I've heard they're not very useful. In addition to the cooker temp, keeping track of the meat temps is essential for knowing where you are in the cook -- including when to foil, when to remove. You might want to think about getting yourself a Maverick ET-73, which a lot of people on this board use and recommend.

--John 8)
(Especially Larry and Finney. ;) )
Good point. I should have just bought a WSM like everyone on here told me to instead of struggling with this peice of junk! :x

Back
Top Bottom