Regional Sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildFireEric

Senior Cook
My general assumption is that the west likes more ketchup or tomatoes and the east likes more vinegar with extremes at both ends and somewhere in the middle likes a little of both and deep south mixes in mustard. Now, does this apply to natives only of these regions? DC has many relos and I don't know what who likes what. I gave my neighbors (from Wisconsin) some "Texas" and two N.C. varieties (one had no ketchup and the other had only 1/2 c ketchup) and they preferred the ones with ketchup.

I tend to like KC style the best but will eat anything except the pure vinegar, which seems to work best to cut the thick tomatoe goo of the Texas stuff.

Anybody have thoughts? I'm asking this for a few reasons. One, when I go back to Luisa next year to beat Bill (I know how to cook now, right? :), I'll need some sauces since it seems people like different things and they certainly didn't like our Asian bbq sauce.

Do people really like just 1/2c ketchup with 1.5 c vinegar (and other seasonings)?

Also, does it really matter what you put on your ribs when they're cooking (the last hour)? Does that blend with the meat, so as long as you're not putting battery acid on it, it shouldn't hurt?

Thanks in advance.

Thick type KC Masterbate and KRAFT sauce is king around here. Just because folk don't know any better. I can go threw gallons when vending. Guess most around here like a little pulled pork with there sauce. :roll:

My general assumption is that the west likes more ketchup or tomatoes and the east likes more vinegar with extremes at both ends and somewhere in the middle likes a little of both and deep south mixes in mustard. Now, does this apply to natives only of these regions? DC has many relos and I don't know what who likes what. I gave my neighbors (from Wisconsin) some "Texas" and two N.C. varieties (one had no ketchup and the other had only 1/2 c ketchup) and they preferred the ones with ketchup.

I tend to like KC style the best but will eat anything except the pure vinegar, which seems to work best to cut the thick tomatoe goo of the Texas stuff.

Anybody have thoughts? I'm asking this for a few reasons. One, when I go back to Luisa next year to beat Bill (I know how to cook now, right? :), I'll need some sauces since it seems people like different things and they certainly didn't like our Asian bbq sauce.

Do people really like just 1/2c ketchup with 1.5 c vinegar (and other seasonings)?

Also, does it really matter what you put on your ribs when they're cooking (the last hour)? Does that blend with the meat, so as long as you're not putting battery acid on it, it shouldn't hurt?

Thanks in advance.
I think most people prefer the ketchup based, because they mostly grew up eating the standard over sweet ketchup sauces bought at the supermarket. I have noticed that when it comes to the food people like, it largely comes down to what they grew up with.

In Central New York, Dr. Baker’s Cornell Barbecue Sauce is popular for chicken barbecue fund raisers.

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
3 tablespoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

In Central New York, Dr. Baker’s Cornell Barbecue Sauce is popular for chicken barbecue fund raisers.

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
3 tablespoons salt
That sounds pretty good. Do you like it?

That sounds pretty good. Do you like it?
I like it very much and look forward to the local church, firehouse, VFW, barbecues that feature it.

At home I‘ve used it as a marinade for oven baked chicken but it is not nearly as good as when cooked low and slow over live coals.

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
3 tablespoons salt

How do you incorporate the egg? Emulsify it into the sauce to help thicken?

Ketchup taste does not taste much different from region to region. Neither do tomatoes ... homegrown or otherwise. Ketchup in the mountains in 1968 taste same as 2022.

BBQ sauce is a legend all it's own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom