Tryon Brisket with WRB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack W.

Sous Chef
It's been a couple of weeks, but I wanted to relate the process we underwent to cook the briskets in a recent cook.

We started with choice briskets. The usual trimming, taking off silver skin and culling out the kernal. I sprayed it with a little canola oil and applied a very light sprinkling of Canadian Steak Seasoning, then a hefty coat of Wolfe Rub Bold.

We put the briskets into a tall kitchen bag and into a cooler for about an hour and a half, while we started the pit. Out of the bag for about 15 minutes. The rub had taken on kind of a pelicle appearance. I put on another coat of WRB and let it sit for another 20 minutes or so. The mositure on the outside soaked up the rub and made it into a "crust".

We put the cow pies into a 250* stumps clone fueled with Wicked Good Charcoal. We used hickory and cherry for wood flavor. Mopped with a mixture of hot sauce, worster, and oil durning the middle 2 hours of the cook.

When the meat reached 165 in the flat we double wrapped in foil with a cup of Ricks Sinful Marinade, and waited until the we got to 202*. At 202 they came out of the pit and into the cooler for a 4 hour rest.

The results were incredible. 8's and 9's on taste across the board.

Thanks for the WRB invention Larry. I'll be back for more

Good Q!

Jack

Captain Morgan said:
what the hell's a kernal?

There is a big piece of white, hard fat, where the deckel meets the flat. IMHO it has to go. It takes too much energy to cook it.

You need to cook more brisket! :roll:

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom