Can I use these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure that will work. Just keep the heat level down to a reasonable level. Could imagine a big chunk might boost up the heat a bit. The smoke cant hurt it.

bigwheel

Well I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here cuz I aint never smoked with any sawdust...so aint sure how that stuff acts when the heat hits it. On the other hand have used a bunch of chunks and have not noticed much increase in the heat level unless there be quite a few of em and they are getting enough air to make em burn vigorous. In a tight environment they will normally just set there and smolder and not add much to the heat load. Not sure whut you planning on smoking but even if they bump you up to a pit temp of 175-180 can't think of any items right off hand which would be hurt too bad by the additional heat.

bigwheel

For hot smoking (smoke cooking as some call it) usually I fire up Fred's upright with a judicious amount of Kingsford Mesquite Brickets and pee can shells...if I got some. Otherwise whutever wood I got laying around. Pee can..plum..peach..apple etc. I got trees all over the back yard so I just break off some small dead branches to toss on there. Anyway I always like to use a water pan above that mess...think it gives the cases a lot softer bite. Try to not let it break 175-180. Give em an initial drying time of about an hour without no added wood and it take Fred about that long to come up to temps anyway. Still getting a little smoke off the briquettes but nothing that would make or break a person. I always form my links into loops so when they hang on the dowels I can give em spin. My arrangement normally pound the bottom side hardest so it helps to be able to give em a spin if you get my drift. My dowels is small branches cut off a piss elm tree. They are still going strong after several years of sitting out in the elements. Thought I was gonna have to use em for fire wood a few times at some cookoffs when the wood run out:)

bigwheel

Can you smoke sausages in a pit/smoker, a CharGriller or do the sausages need to hang? I do not have a smoker as I have seen in the forum but I do have a Chargriller and would like to smoke some sausage this fall.

Am I right in thinking that hanging them allows them to smoke all over as compared to laying them on the grill. Maybe I could run a dow rod through the lid to hang them from.

Find a out who is selling pellets in your area, they will have different flavors and work well in that style of cookers.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom