AB's Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Place the vegetable oil and flour
into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven
and whisk together to combine. Place on
the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered,
and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3
times throughout the cooking process.
Does this work? I made my roux in 15 minutes...I never stopped stirrin... :D

That is an interisting concept for makeing roux. It shure whould beat the hell out of doing it on the stove top if it worked.

Chris

that sound like a joke a roux in the oven [smilie=rlp_smilie_178.gif] , my god he would get put out of most cooking places down here if he tried that crap . like surf said stand over it and watch your roux like its your baby [smilie=hug.gif] .

:shock: :x :evil: if your going to do it in an oven...might as well..just get it out of a can [smilie=rlp_smilie_207.gif]

ya and i have never tried par-boiling my chicken or ribs either and i know that is bad .

some things should just be left alone .

I have baked flour only spread out on a baking sheet Then added to hot oil in my iron pot waiting on my stove. That works fine

Diva you are right i have not tried it like that so i will not pass such objection . i just like to stick to tradition that my only [smilie=rlp_smilie_130.gif]

surfinsapo said:
Place the vegetable oil and flour
into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven
and whisk together to combine. Place on
the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered,
and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3
times throughout the cooking process.
Does this work? I made my roux in 15 minutes...I never stopped stirrin... :D

If you make roux in the oven, you'll have to get a new avatar, I garontee!

Dont really see how making your roux in the oven is so crazy and I certainly dont know how it would affect the flavor of the roux...

now what if you made your roux in the smoker?

DawgPhan said:
Dont really see how making your roux in the oven is so crazy and I certainly dont know how it would affect the flavor of the roux...

there is no love into just throwing your roux in the oven and just letting sit there all alone buy its lonley self . :roll: . just no love in cooking any more i guess . :cry:

I'm with you knine...that roix needs da luv....there is something to be said about the 6 beers it takes to make a nice roix...

I do the flour in the oven thing once every couple months and keep it to use as a thickener or a quik starter for a roux or gravy if I don't have time to baby it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom