Reccomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockin Rooster

Senior Cook
I've done a couple of parties for friends but am considering some more catering jobs but would like to avoid some of the mistakes. What would you reccomend I do if I were starting a BBQ catering business? I only plan on deliver finished product at first. I'll move on to serving and setup later.

If your looking to prep at one site, and then deliver, your Health Dept may require the prep sight to be inspected and certified.

Don't low ball your prices just to get started, it's hard to raise them later after people expect the lower price.

Tim

Very first thing you need to do is check with your Town City exc. to see if you can. Then check in with the health goon's to see what they want. Don't forget about insurance!

I know it's something I could do as far as local codes. I do need to get with the local HD to find out what I need to have inspected. I already have a price sheet to determin prices and by no means would I be the cheapest. I learned that lesson when I started my electrial contracting company. I am probably the most expencive in the area and the people I do this for would probably pay an extra 25% more if I asked.

I would leave the health nazis plumb outta the pitcher. Whut they dont know cant hurt em. Advertise by word of mouth and bizness cards. No signs..no ads in the paper...no listing in the jello pages. Like the man say and a nice lady outlaw caterer who been doing it 20 years tole me one time. You can either be a Chevy or a Caddilac. If you a Chevy you work cheap and cook a lot. If you a Caddilac you dont work as much but the money comes out about the same over the long haul. If the health goons happen to catch you which aint likely...tell em you sorry and will go get a permit next Monday.

bigwheel

The ONLY time I involve the HD is when I do street vending. Private parties are just that. PRIVATE. The Health department doesnt have the man power to inspect every private party out there.

Now, with that being said. Contact the local HD. Ask them what you need to do to VEND at a street festival. They will give you all the documents you need for the "One Day" event. They also may offer a course like "Safe Food Handling for Crowds" or something simular. Once you have that class, what ever it is they are a lot easier on you.

As far as the private parties, DONT SAY A WORD about them.

I my County there is no required permit if cooked on site for a Private Party So everything that can be is Private Ya know
And the permit process for a Public event is very easy if its a charity event
So that takes care of all of it Its Private or Charity

Back
Top Bottom