Brisket Cook - Foil or Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
I'm cooking a whole brisket on Wednesday. I really want a juicy brisket. Would like opinions on whether to foil or not. If foiling at what temp?

Fat up or down or sholud I start up and turn it over sometime during the cook? I'll be using the rub I got from Bill at the Texas BBQ forum. Should I apply rub and let sit overnight and them reapply before cooking.

I plan on using a combination of pecan wood and lump charcoal.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Kloset

Kloset BBQR said:
I'm cooking a whole brisket on Wednesday. I really want a juicy brisket. Would like opinions on whether to foil or not. If foiling at what temp?

Fat up or down or sholud I start up and turn it over sometime during the cook? I'll be using the rub I got from Bill at the Texas BBQ forum. Should I apply rub and let sit overnight and them reapply before cooking.

I plan on using a combination of pecan wood and lump charcoal.

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Kloset

I normally cook my briskets fat side up and do not foil. However I ran into a time constraint on my last cook and had to foil and was very pleased with the results.

Rub and let sit overnight, then rub again right before you put it on the cooker. Good luck, take pics and let us know how it turns out!

I cook mine fat side up with no foil until they are 192 - 195. Then I take them off, wrap tightly in foil, and put into an insulated box (cooler w/ towels) for a couple of three or four hours. They can be cut or chopped at this point and be quite enjoyable. If you want to go the extra step, seperate the point from the flat, rewrap tighly in foil with the natural juices and cool completly. The next day unwrap the ole cow turd and reheat in medium smoke until the brisket reaches temperature. Cut, chop or otherwise comsume in your favorite manner, pouring the heated juices over the top to add great flavor. It takes a little effort but produces, IMHO, the best results.

Good Q!

Jack

Fat down. Foil at 160 (but I say in the thickest part, not the flat).Take her to about 185 and rest in a cooler for another hour or so. I had some pretty good brisket at your place last summer. I thought you knew what you were doin? Hey, you were gonna be the brisket guy on the team????? Get your grill today???

Woody,

I just posted the pictures on the grilling section. I'll post some additional pictures tonight when I cook some steaks on it.

That brisket I made last summer was only the second one I ever made. I've never used foil before but wanted to try to produce a moist brisket. Cooking the brisket and burnt ends on Wednesday.

Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to seeing your pit on the 30th. Let's have a cook at my house next month.

I like to get through the platau, then foil. I cook until 190 - 200 and it's done. Fat side down for me. Rub when ever you like, I rub the night before and again just before it goes on the heat! Have fun, let us know how you cooked it and give us the results!

FATZ said:
Of course. But we'd be the two guys arguing over "fat side up/fat side down" and "rub it now/no don't rub it yet" and "foil that joker/put the foil down, FATZ".

Aahhh.....I'd love to cook with you Larry. :(

Can you bring your monkey? Monkeys are fun.

Fatz we wouldn't argue! It would be done my way! ROFLMAO! Seriously, I'm game for trying anything that will make my Q turn out even better than previous cooks. Like I said, I was pretty happy with the foiling results last time and it gave me a very moist finished product. I'd foil again if need be.

You are not spanking my Monkey!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom