What's your best Hamburger recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I don't have one ~ That's why I'm askin'.. Recipe, preparation, gas/charcoal/other, what ever... East, West, Long Islanders.. :eek: And don't forget about the buns and condiments! [-X

6 1/2 pounds ground beef 90% lean
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 1/4 tablespoons Montreal Steak seasoning
2 1/4 tablespoons Montreal Hamburger seasoning
2 1/4 tablespoons Montreal Salt Free Steak seasoning
6 teaspoons Liquid Barbecue Smoke®
2 each eggs

Mix all together and form into 1/4 lb. patties. Grill on gas or charcol. I enjoy a little cole slaw on my burgers. I sometimes shred cheese and mix that into mixture also for instant cheese burgers.

welpers, here is one of my favorites, although I can't pick just one, and I'm constantly experimenting.

One of my favorites on the grill, but I'd like to perfect a sauce. Don't like ketchup or normal burger toppings here...just a juicy patty, thick layer of swiss and mounds of sauteed or grilled or sauteed mushrooms.

In the past I've made a sauce that is a reduction of worsh., garlic, a little horseradish, basalmic vinegar and butter. Grill your burgers direct for a couple of minutes on each side, then move to a cooler part of the grill to finish. Go ahead and put a dab of butter (I sometimes use a compound butter similar to something you'd use for steaks) and put your swiss cheese on top to melt down.

If you haven't grilled your mushrooms, sautee them while reducing your sauce....this is one of the rare times I prefer sliced mushrooms, but slice them thick!

As the mushrooms release their liquid, the sauce will take longer to reduce, so you might not want to add as much butter at the beginning.

Have this sauce standing by when the burgers are ready. Place the burger cheese side down on the bun, and cover the top with as much of the mushrooms and sauce as will stay on there! Eat quickly, cause the sauce will get the bottom bun a little soggy despite the cheese barrier.

Man am I hungry...why did I buy chicken tonight!?!?

I've never tried cooking direct, then indirect to finish..Sounds interesting!

TexLaw, I'm gonna try that for sure! Thanks :(

Captain, are you using plain ground beef (80/20)? And did you ever think about mixing some that sauce into the ground beef (after reducing but without the mushrooms), then cooking the burgers? I do like the sound of the sauce! :( And I love mushrooms on burgers as well as sauteed onions!

Great ideas here... :( Keep 'em comin' :D

Bill, I like the fattest meat I can get, and add moisture to it via woos sauce or even water. I've actually heard of people using milk!

There's something to be said for layers of flavor, and I like to keep my meat rather simple....80/20, woos, s and p. This burger gets a taste of swiss from the bottom, then a beefy, meaty core, and finally the wang and texture of the shrooms and sauce. I don't make it everytime I make burgers, but it's freaking good.

80/20 beef
medium thickness on the patties
fuckin hot heat
cook um well done (but still juicy)
melt american cheese on top
toast buns
mayo, mustard, ketchup, tomato and pickel slices (onions if ya like them)
French Fries in the deep fryer
ICE COLD BEER (i prefer an ICE COLD BUDWEISER!!)

Burgers aren't meant to have all that crap in um...just beef baby!! :!:

Greg Rempe said:
80/20 beef
medium thickness on the patties
fuckin hot heat
cook um well done (but still juicy)
melt american cheese on top
toast buns
mayo, mustard, ketchup, tomato and pickel slices (onions if ya like them)
French Fries in the deep fryer
ICE COLD BEER (i prefer an ICE COLD BUDWEISER!!)

Burgers aren't meant to have all that crap in um...just beef baby!! :!:

I definitely agree with Greg about the all beef, but not about the well done part! Take a chance and enjoy the meat!

A hamburger should be made with the following!

Fresh ground Chuck
Kosher Salt
Fresh cracked pepper
LOOSELY form the patties, do not pack tight, it will make the burgers tough.
Grill to medium rare
Condiments of choice but don't cover up the taste of the meat.

I agree with Larry, S & P,(maybe a little granulated garlic) on the heat. Keep it simple.

I do this occasionally but not often, mix a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix into the meat, good oniony flavor to meat when cooked.

TexLaw said:
Sorry, Larry, but I'm not eating a burger that's only made it to medium-rare. Around my house, especially with my young children, it's well done and well done only. They're still juicy as all get-out, but they're well done.

Maybe if I ground my own, I might consider less than well done, but I don't grind my own. Part of enjoying the meat is not worrying about it. It only takes one bad batch to cause big problems.

I'll take medium-rare on steak anytime you want to out it in front of me, and I'll dive into it like I just got off a deserted island, but I'll never do that on any ground product.

TL

I agree with TL on this, Larry! well-done can still be juicy...just make sure the meat has fat content in it! Mid rare hamburger is trouble on a bun brotha!! :eek:

Well you didn't mention children. I agree I will always overcook my daughters burgers, chicken or pork to yield on the side of caution. But I would never eat a hamburger I make at home more than med-rare. In a restaurant, totally different story, I haven't a clue nor do I want to know how that meat was handled. But at home, I pick out the chuck roast in the supermarket, ring the buzzer and ask the butcher to grind it for me. Yeah yeah, the grinder could have been tainted with previous ground beef. Did you also know you can get e-coli from fruits, juices and vegetables? And salmonella from cake batter, cookie dough, homemade mayonaise or runny eggs too. I look at it like this, if you buy fresh meat, refridgerate and handle it properly you are cutting your chances way down. I know the only true way to guarantee the meat is safe it to cook it to 160*, I'll take my chances for a good burger and don't worry one bit about doing so. Just my opinion though. Who knows, I may be the guy in the bathroom stall next to you loosing my guts at SS. Please don't get me wrong, this isn't even a matter worth arguing over cause the bottomline is, it's your choice how you want your meat cooked!

BTW, my steaks are seared on both sides and taken off the grill. The inside should still be cool! Ahhhh now that's good eats!

TL you are still my hero, I just won't eat your burgers! lol

Larry Wolfe said:
BTW, my steaks are seared on both sides and taken off the grill. The inside should still be cool! Ahhhh now that's good eats!

Now that's something totally different!! :!:

TexLaw said:
Well, truth be told, not only do I worry about E. coli, I also just don't like my burgers anything less than well done. It's a texture thing, if nothing else. I imagine it's also a conditioning thing from my childhood. And, picking out your own meat to be ground is pretty smart.

Of course this isn't worth arguing about. Of course it's about personal taste. And, of course, I ain't eating your burgers, either, Larry! :D

I still want to try Cappy's idea!

TL

:happyd: :smooch: :happyd:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Niagara River Smoker":2yb94wmd]Thank you, gents. Still looking for more input here.. :(

I know you've heard that before!!! :!:[/quote:2yb94wmd]
:eek:

3-4 lbs 80/20 burger
7 ounces or so of A1 sauce
mix and make patties any size you like
salt lightly each side
black pepper heavily on each side then cook immediatly.
cook on hot grill till well done, or however you prefer.
I add cheese and buns, place all burgers with buns in the bag that buns came in and it steams the buns and melts the cheese.

Not the best in the world but still tasty for very little trouble.

Hey Captain, the burgers stay moist and warm too. I prefer cheese that is melted but have over-cooked burgers trying to do so, but not anymore.

Back
Top Bottom