Pontiac Solstice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, that sure does look nice! :( But, that 2.4L 140 hp engine remindes me of that POS engine that the early Fiero's had (I know ~ I had one)..I'm sure it's not after 22 years... :!:

Bill,

It's a 170 hp engine. Here is a clip from the review:

"Just check the dimensions and specs. The Solstice's wheelbase is 6 inches longer than the Miata's but its overall length is less than 2 inches greater. Although it's 5 inches shorter than the S2000, its wheelbase is almost an inch longer. The Solstice is powered by GM's four-cylinder 2.4-liter Ecotec engine that produces 170 horsepower compared to just 140 in the Miata. However, it is 400 pounds heavier than the Miata, closer in weight to the S2000. Honda's S2000 is powered by a 240-horsepower engine, but its torque rating is slightly lower: 161 pounds-feet vs. the Pontiac's 170 pounds-feet. Torque is that force that propels you from intersections and up hills. Consequently, the real-world performance of the Solstice appears to be closer to the S2000's than to the Miata's. We shall see."

The Miata is 140 hp.

:) Mis-read the Miata's HP for the Solstice.. Damn nice looking ride!! :(

Thanks Bill.

It will be my summer ride and my Chevy Silverado is my winter ride.

It's all part of my mid-life crisis. This is strictly a car for fun for me. :D

I would stick with the Chevy Truck Kloset...I didn't mind the Fiero at all...one of my buddy's had one and it was pretty nice!

He did have a problem with the passenger side headlamp not wanting to flip up or down, but he was cheap and didn't want to fix it...nice ride and could corner like a mutha!! :D

I'm definitely sticking with the Silverado Gregg. Just got it last December but
this afternoon I went down to the Pontiac dealership in Akron and placed my order for the Solstice. I'll find out next week if I get one of the first 1000. They just went on sale Friday at 2 PM. Probably too late to get one of the first 1000 but I'll let you know when I get the call from GM. Only downside is that the Solstice won't be available until the end of the summer so I won't get
too many miles on it until next spring. The color's red and I got the black leather interior (I didn't like the two tone leather interior). I've always heard that everyone ought to have one convertable in your life. This will be my first and probably only one. I'm really looking forward to it. I imagine it will get pretty good mileage too.

Convertible usually signifies Mid-Life crisis...why not a new C6 vette??? Now that things can shit and get!! =D>

But the new Vette is the best one of the last 15 years...for sure!

Of course, it's no FREIGHTLINER, right??!!! :eek: :eek: #-o #-o

Between the Solstice, GTO and Grand Prix I'm starting to pay attention to Pontiac. If I was about 20 years younger I think I might be buying one. (GTO that is. I've never been a roadster kind of guy but that's just personal preference.) Hope they keep up the good work.

That new L6 Vette is a monster. Friend of mine got one and raced a 911 Turbo from a stop light last weekend. I was behind them. It was sick. Porsche lost ground and kept losing ground right up until the point my buddy put on the brakes. Way to go Chevy.

Might have been a differnt story if it wasn't from a standing start or if there were twistys involved but who cares. WTG Chevy.

I would have loved to have the C6 Vette but at this time I can't justify the cost/enjoyment/worry ratios. Af over 50K+ (more for the convertable) (which is more than fairly priced based on its performance), I'd get sick with worry every time I parked it that something would happen to it (and it probably would). One day I may get one when I retire to a warmer climate where I could use it year round. The Solstice was purely an impulse buy but at less than half the price of the Corvette, I'll have plenty of fun with it (without as much of the worry). I'll still only use it half the year up here in Cleveland but will only have to pay 40% of the cost to get 90% of the fun. I also know that Corvettes and most sports cars are marked cars for the highway patrol, so I could see myself getting extremely frustrated having a car that could quickly attain speeds of 185 and not being able to legally use it. I've always wanted a convertable and this is my chance to get a beautiful car that has good performance (I't can't compare to the corvette) at a moderate price. Only 1000 of these special edition vehicles are being made so as of yet I don't know whether I will get one or not (but my order has been submitted less than 24 hours afther they went on sale) but I've already rumors of many buying them just to resell them at a premium. There will only be 20,000 Solstices made the first year. Pontiac is betting big on this car and the reviews have been extremely positive. I'm looking forward to it.

My only complaint with GM on this car is the delivery date. With a name like Solstice it seems like a natural that the first cars would hit the dealers on the summer solstice (6/21 or is it 6/20). The earliest delivery dates I seen projected has been late July and most are talking about late August or maybe even September which could hurt sales. Not too many people are going to be buying convertables heading into winter.

Woody, as far as the midlife crisis goes, I hope it lasts many years. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Kloset

Steve Z said:
Kloset, Showed my wife a pic of the car and now she wants one :badgrin: thanks. thats going to cost me :!: real nice looking ride though.

Steve let me know if you get one. They are only making a limited number of these cars the first year. In order to buy one you have to go to the Pontiac
Website get an authorization code and bring it to the participating dealer of your choice. Most dealerships have only been allocated no more than 5 of these cars. The ordering ends April 24th.

I'll post pictures when the car arrives.

Back
Top Bottom