Somethings wrong here.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
There is something that has been bothering me. I stopped by Chili’s a few nights ago to get some take out for my family. As I stood there waiting for my order, I noticed that the waiters and waitresses were bringing out plate after plate of ribs. Now in my opinion Chili’s ribs are not that good. So what has been bothering me is why would people go to Chili’s for ribs and people who have a BBQ joint where they serve real low and slow cooked BBQ ribs, struggle to find customers? Something about that seems so wrong. What do you think?

wboggs said:
ddog27 said:
There is something that has been bothering me. I stopped by Chili’s a few nights ago to get some take out for my family. As I stood there waiting for my order, I noticed that the waiters and waitresses were bringing out plate after plate of ribs. Now in my opinion Chili’s ribs are not that good. So what has been bothering me is why would people go to Chili’s for ribs and people who have a BBQ joint where they serve real low and slow cooked BBQ ribs, struggle to find customers? Something about that seems so wrong. What do you think?
Marketing.... ;)

I'd go with that....look at Applebee's commercials with their whatever you call em riblet things. Show em over a fire, glazed with sauce, etc they look pretty dang good!..that's what most people are use to seeing, especially if they are not into Q

I want my baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back....ribs.

It has absolutely nothing to do with taste. If the advertisment sells the idea that these are the best ribs, then the general public will agree and won't even try the small BBQ joint's ribs, and often when they do try them, they will convence themselves they aren't as good as Chilis because they wouldn't want to buck the trend. (sheep) [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

doods, 90 percent of the public have never tasted real bbq ribs or bbq at all for that matter. When serving to the public, it's a sauce contest.

Kinda want to chime in on the Chili's thing. From what I can see the ribs are polular, but not everyone at the table wants them. Usually one or two people. The variety of the menu works in that restaurants favor, as opposed to the more singular "Rib Joint" where everyone better want BBQ or else!

Captain Morgan said:
doods, 90 percent of the public have never tasted real bbq ribs or bbq at all for that matter. When serving to the public, it's a sauce contest.

Not only the sauce, but most folks dont have an idea what Que that would win a comp should taste like ( Im not sure I do..lol ). Some of the crappy stuff I made on the Brinkman a few years ago when I was starting out was enjoyed by my buddys just as much as my good stuff now. I used to make ribs in the oven ( Tony Roma recipe ) and finish them on the grill. They are good and fell off the bone. My daughter prefers them to ones done in the smoker and requests them cooked that way all the time.

The local "smokehouse" in town here has pulled pork thats dry. But people love it and rave about it...go figure !!

This is why the private catering arena is wide open in this area of the country. People think the crap they get from most commercial places are great so when you show up with the real thing...you are a bbq genius...and they'll tell their friends about it. Word of mouth advertising is slower but much more effective for ths type of thing. As I jump into this arena this year two things come to mind quickly:

Don't skimp on quantity or quality...only give them what you would be proud to say is yours'. Send them away stuffed.

Don't underprice what you give them. I'm arrogant enough to know my bbq is really good and if you don't want to pay for...go to Chili's...I don't care...you'll come back and the price will be higher.

Most everyone I know thinks that if the ribs dont fall off of the bone they are no good. I have served spares right beside babybacks, and they go for BBs everytime.
Forgive them fore they do not know what the hell they are doing.

DaleP said:
Most everyone I know thinks that if the ribs dont fall off of the bone they are no good. I have served spares right beside babybacks, and they go for BBs everytime.
Forgive them fore they do not know what the hell they are doing.
I'm working on those who I know. I've been able to educate them on the diffrence between restaraunt ribs and good smoked, meaty ribs that pull clean from the bone but retain that nice tender meaty texture. I usualy ask them do they really want a spoon with there ribs? ;)

Both of my kids like the ribs falling off the bone and a bottle fo sauce dumped over them. Doesnt make any sense. I like mine cooked slow and just enough sauce to glaze them.

I actually ate at Chili's last Friday night. I ordered a Bleu Cheese Bacon burger. The burger was good. I also wanted to try their Memphis style ribs so I added it to my Entree for about $5.50 or so. They were awful. My ribs are about 1000% better. I am spoiled. It is very hard or next to impossible to eat and enjoy ribs from restaurants now.

My kids wanted to go to Chili's tonight so we did and I didn't have the ribs!

At our local "smokehouse", all Ill eat is the burgers...Everything else is dry and overdosed with rub...However, people still flock there and rave about it !!

I never ate at a Chilis. I know the ribs at Damons suck and I'll bet they are the same at Chilis. The brisket at Damons in INEDIBLE!!!!! They actually sliced it WITH the grain!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom