Time to start thinking about....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Hot Dogs!

I freaking love hot dogs! Soon as the temps start getting into the 80's I start thinking about the All American tube steak! So how do you guys cook em? Grilled, boiled, ?

And what's your favorite brand? I love Sabrett's and Hebrew Nationals.

Here's a chili recipe you might like from an expert source....a pool hall in a small town in South Carolina! :badgrin:

Hot Dog Chili from Aiken Pool Hall, Aiken, SC

1 lb. hamburger meat
4 med onions -- diced/chopped
4 Tbsp mustard -- yellow
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp vinegar -- apple cider
2 tsp chili powder
1 cup catsup
salt -- to season

Break up the hamburger meat and put into a 4-qt. pan. Add enough hot water
to make a thick mix. Stir until smooth.

Add the remaining ingredients. Cook slowly for 1 hour. Can be thinned as
needed with water or beer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The Aiken Pool Hall, Aiken, SC, is famous for having the best chili dogs in the area.

Hey Captain,

I have some good friends that moved to Aiken three years ago, they are both retired and living the good southern life. Enjoying the weather and the golf courses. Plus, this weekend, they're only ten minutes from Augusta, GA and their home course is filled with golfers in town for the Masters.

I had a chance to go see a practice round for about 300 bucks...thought long and hard, but I passed this time. Have your friends ever heard of the "Aiken Pool Hall"? By the way, it's a very thin chili, with the meat
in very small pieces. I make it a few times every spring and summer.

Raine, I've been eyeballing that stuff for a while now. I'm coming to Charlotte soon, or maybe Finney will pick some up for me.

Slaw is a must!!!!!!!! Unless you have a good mustard relish. Sabrett's are the kind of dogs you get from the street vendors in New York. The are sold here in Myrtle at the grocery stores....they also sell vending carts and things like that from their website. They are pretty similar to Nathan's which I also like.

Anybody heard of Tony Packo's?

Ok, no slaw is fine as long as you NEVER put ketchup on a hot dog again! ;-)

I'll get over your way and ask Bigwheel...I remember him saying something about "real" redhots a few years ago.

here's Stogies Coney style chili recipe...

ORIGINAL GREEK CONEY SAUCE

From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ GURU

I am a Coney dog aficionado. More than once I have opted for a Coney dog over a nice steak. I have tried dozens of Coney sauces and this one is by far my favorite. Our house always has a good supply of this in the freezer………even Kate likes this one!

1 lb. ground beef
1 C. shortening
1 medium onion, diced
1/3 C. chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. black pepper, coarsely ground
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. basil, dried
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano

Brown beef, onion and shortening. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water. This freezes well.

Ya gotta love that whole cup of shortening! :-D

TexLaw said:
I've had slaw on a hot dog, and I even had it in North Carolina. It ain't happening again. Now, a pulled pork sandwich is a different story, especially with that good, vinegary slaw.

I'm certainly all for mustard relish or something along those lines. I do mix things up with my dogs. Maybe ketchup, maybe sweet relish, maybe dill relish. Toast the bun, maybe not. A good dose of kraut when the spirit moves me. I've even gone a little Chicago and put tomatoes, sport peppers and some celery salt on there. All that is good. I just gave you my basic go-to dogs.

But no dadgum slaw! =;

TL

Did you have red slaw or white slaw?

Howard Johnson's

I remember when I was a kid and getting Howard Johnson's frankfurters (as they called them). They had diagonal cuts down the dog and were grilled in butter and served on a bun that was also grilled in butter. Boy were those dog's good. Haven't been to a HoJo's in years. Don't know if they still make them that way or not but that's how I make them in the winter. In the summer it's grilled outdoors until they swell up until they are about to burst! I try to get them from the deli section if possible, if not Ball Park brand.

TexLaw said:
I pretty much blacked out the experience, so I can't really say. It's whatever they gave me. I didn't ask for it. I just asked for a chili dog with no mayonnaise, and it came out with slaw. I never saw it coming, but I still ate it. It wasn't really awful, but it wasn't good. I went back the next day and got one with no slaw. Once the people quit looking at me like I'd just just grown another head, they gave me what was the best chili dog I can remember.

It was at a place called Bill & Lea's, in Kernersville, about ten years ago. I don't know if that solves the red/white question.

TL

:smt044

By the way, to put it in your terms, ketchup on hot dogs is malpractice!

I used to work with a guy who grew up in Alabama and he turned me on to the "chili slaw dog". Not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat one. A coney with the works (mustard, onions, chili sauce and celery salt), that's the ultimate for me....the place we used to go to when we were kids had this really huge sweaty guy workin' there, and the joke was that when he'd line up the hot dogs up his arm to make them, the one in his elbow bend had the best flavor.....

Anyway, hebrew nationals are probably my favorite for a mass produced dog, but we've got a couple of local places that are much better...mucke's, grote & weigel and bogners are all really tasty....I have mucke's on my inspection route and it's quite a spectacle to watch the process....

oh, grilled or in a dry pan are my fave....try the celery salt on a dog with mustard & onoins if you haven't, very tasty....preferably with a squared off bun grilled, none of that squishy poofy soft bun stuff.....

Rob

Raine said:
Don't forget those burgers.

I can even remember the Wendy's here in the Carolina's carrying a slaw burger for a while!!!

"Get a slaw burger fries, and a bottle of Ski,
bring it on down to my baby and me!"

I'm with you, Capt. on the hot dogs. I usually grill Nathan's bun lengths, top 'em with mustard, chili, onions and my father in law's slaw. No ketchup. Next time you're near Florence, I'll take you to the Circle Fountain for the best cheeseburger in town.
Rev.Jr.

Anybody ever see the PBS documentary A Hot Dog Program? Go around the country showing regional styles of hot dog cookery. If you like hot dogs you will like this video.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom