Yippee, I can get charcoal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
They've finally put charcoal back on the shelves. From before Thanksgiving until last week, the only charcoal we could find was Matchlight. Now maybe we can start smoking again! I love Christmas and the decorations that go along with it but would really like to be able to buy charcoal year round. We have no storage to buy a lot at the time.

I have almost the opposite problem now. When wally world restocked the RO and the mgr informed me it was the only shipment they would have all winter I bought 20 bags. Now with the move the movers wont haul it. So it is being boxed up and placed in the back of my suburban for its trip to TN. at least I will be stocked when I get there.

I do have a small portion (maybe a handful)of a bag of Royal Oak lump but that stuff burned so fast it just wasn't worth the money, IMO. Maybe I had the wrong stuff but I wasn't impressed. Maybe I used it wrong but I lit it and let it go about 15 minutes or so, went back to nothing but ashes. This was before I even got things going to get the meat on. Ended up having to get Les to bring home some Kingsford so we could keep the temp up and finish cooking.

allie said:
I do have a small portion (maybe a handful)of a bag of Royal Oak lump but that stuff burned so fast it just wasn't worth the money, IMO. Maybe I had the wrong stuff but I wasn't impressed. Maybe I used it wrong but I lit it and let it go about 15 minutes or so, went back to nothing but ashes. This was before I even got things going to get the meat on. Ended up having to get Les to bring home some Kingsford so we could keep the temp up and finish cooking.

hmm wonder what was with that. i did 15 hrs with a butt the other night and didnt use all of a 10 lbs bag, and there was still coals in the ring when I pulled it off. So far I have had good luck with it

cflatt said:
allie said:

hmm wonder what was with that. i did 15 hrs with a butt the other night and didnt use all of a 10 lbs bag, and there was still coals in the ring when I pulled it off. So far I have had good luck with it

If Allie was "grilling", maybe lump burns faster and hotter? Never grilled with lump. I use my gasser for grilling.

Nope wasn't grilling. I stacked it just like I would have charcoal in the firebox and went in to let it get hot. I came back out to ashes that had dropped through the grate. It just burned way too hot and fast, the pit would start to rise in temp and then bottom out again. The best I could even start to hold temp even after I got some hickory going as well was 175.........not hot enough! We haven't had any problems keeping temp using charcoal and just adding to it every now and then.

allie said:
Nope wasn't grilling. I stacked it just like I would have charcoal in the firebox and went in to let it get hot. I came back out to ashes that had dropped through the grate. It just burned way too hot and fast, the pit would start to rise in temp and then bottom out again. The best I could even start to hold temp even after I got some hickory going as well was 175.........not hot enough! We haven't had any problems keeping temp using charcoal and just adding to it every now and then.

That is perplexing. I can a 10 - 12 hr burn with one chimney load of lump in the egg. Maybe it has something to do with the lattitude ;)

DATsBBQ said:
cflatt said:
allie said:

If Allie was "grilling", maybe lump burns faster and hotter? Never grilled with lump. I use my gasser for grilling.
Dat's....you have an EGG and you us a gasser for grilling....If word of that gets out..no more Mod on the Texas site...IMNSHO everthing tastes better with lump...

wittdog said:
DATsBBQ said:
cflatt said:
allie said:

Dat's....you have an EGG and you us a gasser for grilling....If word of that gets out..no more Mod on the Texas site...IMNSHO everthing tastes better with lump...
:LOL:
Well the truth of the matter is the gasser was hooked up to the houses propane tank before we moved last September. Still haven't reconnected the adapter to use those little tanks of propane. It's burried under 4' of snow so I don't think it's gonna have any use any time soon :roll:

Could use the egg for grilling. Then it's a timing thing as you have to have the lid down while cooking. Lid up for a grilling session and the cooker would like the tail pipe of an F-4 Phantom :LOL:

My wife doesn't even use the gasser in the winter...If she grills it's with the charcoal...I thought that was one of the advantages of the egg...smoker and grill....

wittdog said:
My wife doesn't even use the gasser in the winter...If she grills it's with the charcoal...I thought that was one of the advantages of the egg...smoker and grill....

Well it is :D Just that I've never used it as a grill :shock: Now I do have a Weber Kettle that I've grilled on. It's only under 1' of snow :LOL:

BTW, the gasser I got is very unique. They don't sell them in the states anymore. No Lid on it while cooking. Lid is a weather shield only. Huge cast iron grate cooking area with 4 burners. Left side has a griddle or wok insert, right tradition grate. Could configure with grates on both sides.

DATsBBQ said:
wittdog said:

Well it is :D Just that I've never used it as a grill :shock: Now I do have a Weber Kettle that I've grilled on. It's only under 1' of snow :LOL:

BTW, the gasser I got is very unique. They don't sell them in the states anymore. No Lid on it while cooking. Lid is a weather shield only. Huge cast iron grate cooking area with 4 burners. Left side has a griddle or wok insert, right tradition grate. Could configure with grates on both sides.
So it's an outdoor oven......save the gas for the criminals :D

Well, since I managed to get this way off topic, if an effort to bring it back for Allie's sake 8) I'll make an attempt soon to dig out the kettle, grill something using lump and see what happens.

DATsBBQ said:
Well, since I managed to get this way off topic, if an effort to bring it back for Allie's sake 8) I'll make an attempt soon to dig out the kettle, grill something using lump and see what happens.
WoW that Mod gig has changed you......

Allie the lump does burn hotter and faster than the K....

wittdog said:
DATsBBQ said:
WoW that Mod gig has changed you......

Allie the lump does burn hotter and faster than the K....

Just playing nice :D Allie's always been nice to me, unlike.... :LOL:

PS: Witt, they need your sausage knowledge over at that other place :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom