Booked one for June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
Well, I just picked up my first job for next season. Grad party for 200, June 23rd. Pulled pork, Chicken, hot dogs, beans, slaw. Can't be simpler! Lookin forward to it being warm! (hope it isn't as hot as last Memorial day.)

Well, let's see. I pick the hog up on Friday a 20 mile trip. I get home and have to yank the big thing out or the van and stash it in the cooler. I then get up at midnight to haul the thing out of the cooler and heft it up on the table. (around 130-160 pounds) Then I have to sit outside and watch for dogs, cats, skunks, exc for about four hours to let it get it's temp up a little. Then add lump over a chimney or so I then have to put it on the spit and make sure it's in balance, then wrestle the thing into the pit with the greatest of accuracy so I don't drop the front or rear into the fire.(that sucks) I then set my butt in the chair outside to make sure the rotis is okay along with the fire.(another four hours) Then damp it down before towing the rig to the customer, three more hours. Get there for all the oooh and ahhhs customer and friends take pics, two hours to hack the thing up, clean up, and get out of Dodge and come home. Don't get me wrong, I love doing whole hog. BUT only once a year, we have done one for these folk the first nine years of business. Can't say no to these folk. Plus they got us on the cover of the wall street journal about five years ago. Pick ups and drop offs are the way to fly. Plus I'm getting old and lazy. Any one want to take over for me, let me know. I'll split 50/50 I'll provide the pit and hog, pick it up, cook it up and cut it up, come on back to my place and get paid. Any takers? :LOL:

When cook whole hog I cook on back and use the belly as a bowl to hold marinade during the cook. Inject till the hog won't hold any more. Injection recipes that work best for hog I find need to be higher in salt than I would normally use. Cooking hog is about the show, not a great way to feed a crowd. Charge extra for shows so it is worth it.

I agree somewhat Jim, but can you agree that a whole hog cooked direct over live coals is not the same as a cooking on a offset? I have done whole hog many different ways over the years and find that the as the fat renders over live coals gives the best flavor. I have never tried a whole hog cook in a contest, but would like to. Some how I don't see whole hog in a KCBS contest any time soon, but if there was I would. Might sound funny, I find cooking a whole hog is much more easy than doing a KCBS comp. cook. :LOL: I don't inject or season the hog at all. Oh I may put a little salt on the skin to puff it up after all the hog is cut up and put it over direct fire.That's a treat indeed.

When people ask me if I'll cook a hog for them I tell them yes. I'll cook butts, ribs, loins, and hams. Then you have a "hog" without the carcass waste! They still want to see the whole stupid hog!

Woodman said:
When people ask me if I'll cook a hog for them I tell them yes. I'll cook butts, ribs, loins, and hams. Then you have a "hog" without the carcass waste! They still want to see the whole stupid hog!

Can you fit one on that small Klose??? [smilie=lol_xtreme.gif] [smilie=lol_xtreme.gif] :ROFL :ROFL :ROFL

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I agree somewhat Jim, but can you agree that a whole hog cooked direct over live coals is not the same as a cooking on a offset? I have done whole hog many different ways over the years and find that the as the fat renders over live coals gives the best flavor. I have never tried a whole hog cook in a contest, but would like to. Some how I don't see whole hog in a KCBS contest any time soon, but if there was I would. Might sound funny, I find cooking a whole hog is much more easy than doing a KCBS comp. cook. :LOL: I don't inject or season the hog at all. Oh I may put a little salt on the skin to puff it up after all the hog is cut up and put it over direct fire.That's a treat indeed.

I wonder if the fat dripping on tuning plates would give almost the same effect? What do you think?

Not imho.

At the comps down here, I've tasted those that let their hogs render into a drip pan, and those that cook right over the coals.

Dramatic flavor difference.

Back
Top Bottom