Turkey Bird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Got the turkey on this morning about 8:00. Wrapped it up with EVOO soaked cheese cloth. Upside down and braced with some sausages. the smoking temps have been anywhere from 240 to 280. after 5 hours the breast is at 146 deg.

The bird was still good after holding for 3 hours. I pulled the bird at 166 in the breast and 170 in the thigh. I was trying to get the thigh up to 175 but gave in when the breast went over 165.

Cooking breast down wrapped in cheese cloth makes for one butt ugly looking breast side but once sliced it didn't seem to matter.

I expected more flavor from the brine. May go longer in it next time. I also was worried about the brine not being cold enough after reading more threads but everyone seems to be ok. :LOL:

Dark meat really takes on the red color from smoking. I know it was done but it noticed that a lot of dark meat was left over. ;)

Well that just opposite for me. I thought old AB's brine put some good flavor in it. Now I added a bunch of extra peppercorns and let it go near 3 full days in the brine. Course guess some of the excellent flavor from such a grand prize winning bird could have come from the expurt cooking technique of the cook..yeppers that prob whut done it:) The rub didnt hurt the flavor dept. neither. Used some Texasbbqrub and got a good dusting all under the skin (thanks for whoever gave out the rubbing under the skin info. I knowed it needed to be under there but just didnt have the mechanics of how to do it propaly). That prob help a little too. This is sure a great place to learn helpful new stuff. Big thanks to all them who make it possible for us to gather.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well that just opposite for me. I thought old AB's brine put some good flavor in it. Now I added a bunch of extra peppercorns and let it go near 3 full days in the brine. Course guess some of the excellent flavor from such a grand prize winning bird could have come from the expurt cooking technique of the cook..yeppers that prob whut done it:) The rub didnt hurt the flavor dept. neither. Used some Texasbbqrub and got a good dusting all under the skin (thanks for whoever gave out the rubbing under the skin info. I knowed it needed to be under there but just didnt have the mechanics of how to do it propaly). That prob help a little too. This is sure a great place to learn helpful new stuff. Big thanks to all them who make it possible for us to gather.

bigwheel
:shock:

Back
Top Bottom