turkey breast tips needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
I haven't done much injecting on birds but here is a brine I've used a few times that comes out great.
2 quarts apple juice
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, sliced thin
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, crushed
vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter

1. Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40*F.

2. In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients and stir. Place rinsed, drained whole bird into the brine. Use a heavy weight to keep the bird submerged, if necessary.

3. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Remove bird from brine and pat dry inside and out. Fold wing tips under the bird. Brush outside surface with vegetable oil or melted butter.

Here's one I did last weekend that was outstanding and very simple. You could use other rubs of choice and they would work fine as well.

brian j said:
i've used the brine nick posted and it came out good. stuff the cavity with oranges and lemons while it cooks.

i'll second that....doing that brine for a friend's parents thursday morning, except that i'm swapping the brown sugar out for some industrial grade maple syrup....yummy

Rob

actually, i got this stuff from right up the road from me (i'd say there are about a dozen or so sugar houses in the area).....i guess you'd call this stuff about a c-grade (there is no c-grade anymore according to fda)...it looks about the same as molasses, but a little thinner....they usually sell it to restaurants and culinary schools for sauces and glazes and sweets, but my ex-girlfriend (aka "the wacko") got me a gallon for Xmas a couple years ago....almost gone now....gonna have to try to get another gallon, I would guess it was pretty expensive...makes for great maple-habanero sauce....

Rob

Rob D. said:
actually, i got this stuff from right up the road from me (i'd say there are about a dozen or so sugar houses in the area).....i guess you'd call this stuff about a c-grade (there is no c-grade anymore according to fda)...it looks about the same as molasses, but a little thinner....they usually sell it to restaurants and culinary schools for sauces and glazes and sweets, but my ex-girlfriend (aka "the wacko") got me a gallon for Xmas a couple years ago....almost gone now....gonna have to try to get another gallon, I would guess it was pretty expensive...makes for great maple-habanero sauce....

Rob

Fancy is the best for pancakes.
Dark Amber or "B" is the best for cooking.

Oh yeah, I'm from VT. :LOL:

ScottyDaQ said:
Rob D. said:
Fancy is the best for pancakes.
Dark Amber or "B" is the best for cooking.

Oh yeah, I'm from VT. :LOL:
When we go on fishing trips in Canada with Griff, we buy groceries in Whitehorse, and we always buy Luc Bergeron maple syrup. It comes in No. 1 Light, No. 1 Medium, and No. 2 Amber. Funny way of counting, but the Griff and Unity households agree, it is the best maple syrup we've ever tasted. But they don't ship it into the U.S.! :shock: :(

--John 8)
(I've even called them. "No." :( Hey Griff, we gotta plan another Yukon trip. :D )

I am thinking of using Nick's brine also. Does the orange and lemons in the cavity give the meat a twang ?

I am also curious about quartered apples in the fire box. Do you use no wood at all when doing this ?

Cliff H. said:
I am thinking of using Nick's brine also. Does the orange and lemons in the cavity give the meat a twang ?

I am also curious about quartered apples in the fire box. Do you use no wood at all when doing this ?

The oranges & lemons will give a nice citrus flavor to the bird. You wil also taste the orange from the brine so you may want to leave it out of the cavity, maybe substitute limes.

Cliff H. said:

I use cherry for smoke....makes for a nice color....

Rob

Rob D. said:
[quote="Cliff H.":307cb7ca]I am thinking of using Nick's brine also. Does the orange and lemons in the cavity give the meat a twang ?

I use cherry for smoke....makes for a nice color....

Rob[/quote:307cb7ca]

That is correct, Bob... :LOL: (I don't know where that comes from)

The one I did last weekend I injected with creole butter , WO on the outside and used a little hickory for the smoke. Im getting ready to do another one Thursday morning the same way.

Nick Prochilo wrote

I haven't done much injecting on birds but here is a brine I've used a few times that comes out great.
2 quarts apple juice
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves

Nick,
I'm using your brine for my bird this year. I'll let you know how it came out.

DATsBBQ said:
Nick Prochilo wrote

2 quarts apple juice
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves

Nick,
I'm using your brine for my bird this year. I'll let you know how it came out.

Good luck dats, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I wish I was using it, I'm going to my brother - in - laws this year.

Nick,
Great Brine. The turkey tasted great. Nice and moist on the inside. I was bit worried about all the ginger and cloves. Just being lazy so I added it to
http://www.ncre.biz/bbq4u/sundaycook.html since it was only one pic.

I have no idea what the temp of the weber was. I know it was hot enough to damn near start my Collie on fire :shock: Not to worry, when I saw all the smoke I quickly remedied the situation. Damn dog wasn't even aware his rear end was smoking. Wire brush took it off the kettle. Should have taken a pic of that but was afeared the vegan animal lovers would turn me in for neglect.

Anyway, once I year I fire up the kettle for a turkey. Cook for 12 minutes a pound with the bottem vents wide open and top vent 3/4 open. Always turns out great. Pulled the bird when the breast got to 170 and let rest under a foil tent for 45 minutes.

bige1 said:
larry wolfe said:
Here's one I did last weekend that was outstanding and very simple. You could use other rubs of choice and they would work fine as well.

larry i used the injection on my birds for thanksgiving and they were a great hit with the family....... thanks big E

Thank you BigE, glad you enjoyed it!!

Great news dats, glad you enjoyed! Glad the dog is ok also! Wish my thanksgiving turned out as well. For some unknown reason, my super health freak sister-in-law refused to serve dark meat :cry: . I don't care much for the breast so I only ate fresh homemade kilbasa :P Well yesterday I picked up a few drumsticks from the grocery store which I'll probably smoke tomorrow for lunch! What a stupid b$%ch!

Back
Top Bottom