Trimming Spares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
It looks like there is a good line to follow on these ribs that I have to trim them up St. Louis style...am I correct in following that fat line across the skirt of the rib?

Also, after I trim it up and have the skirt meat...how long will it take to cook? Do I foil the skirt meat? Save it to put in baked beans? Little help!! :D

I'll shoot pics from start to finish!

The end with the longest bone find the point where the bone and cartilage meet. Start cut there and cut straight across the rack. Remove flap if any and membrane.
Jim

I don't trim them Greg. This gives you a much meatier rib! I figure 3-4 whole spares per person. I cut off the "flap" meat on the back, but leave the "tips" attached. I think the "tip" meat is the best part! Woody

Greg, I trim them and keep all the trimmings. I filet the trimmings and grill them. They grill in about 3 - 4 mins. per side. Makes a great boneless rib sandwich. A little pig powder on them, grill em and eat em. Almost better than the ribs!

Greg, prepping side ribs for Kansas city style I have skewered and rubbed my rib trimmings and smoked, grilled and sauced them along with the ribs.

Pushed all the meat together on the skewer like shwarma and they have come out fantastic. The skewers of trimmed meat are my favourite part of a side rib cook.

Shawn

Back
Top Bottom