Smoked Turkey price??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobberqer

Sous Chef
I seem to be doing well with orders for Smoked Turkey for Thanksgiving..

I''m charging $60 for a 14-16 pound turkey, pick up, cold, on Thanksgiving day....

If they want it hot, delivered, I'm charging an extra $40... which no one has asked for yet...

Was curious to know what others are charging..

Thanks

Last year about this time I stopped in a Herb's Meats (Yuppie butcher shop in Boulder) and they were selling 12 to 14 lb birds to $80.00. I thought then I was in the wrong business. Still feel that way... :shock:

Bill The Grill Guy said:
I'm getting 35 here in VA. But I catch them on sale for .49c too. Save where you can save.

I'm doing fesh turkeys... will pick up the Tuesday b4 Thanksgivng.. we can get frozen , here, on sale , for 49 cents a pound, but you have to spend extra money at the store , to get that price.... I can get fresh for $1.19 a pound ... Stores are charging $1.99 a pound , for fresh, and higher.. :shock:

Thanks for the input.. will let ya know how it all goes..

Bob that's a tad high, but if you're selling them for that price keep doing so. It also depends on your clientele and what you have involved in the smoking process. Are you brining, injecting or just smoking the bird? How many at a time can you do, would also figure into your pricing.

I started off selling different size birds at various prices depending on the size. Over the years I've switched to the 10-14lb birds because they're easier and charge $45 a bird. I'm not doing it to really make any money obviously, but I like doing it so I realize ahead of time I'm not making money. I get enough to pay for everything plus beer, I'm happy with that.

$40 to deliver is more than fair for you, because it would be more trouble than it was worth in my opinion.

Larry Wolfe said:
Bob that's a tad high, but if you're selling them for that price keep doing so. It also depends on your clientele and what you have involved in the smoking process. Are you brining, injecting or just smoking the bird? How many at a time can you do, would also figure into your pricing.

I started off selling different size birds at various prices depending on the size. Over the years I've switched to the 10-14lb birds because they're easier and charge $45 a bird. I'm not doing it to really make any money obviously, but I like doing it so I realize ahead of time I'm not making money. I get enough to pay for everything plus beer, I'm happy with that.

$40 to deliver is more than fair for you, because it would be more trouble than it was worth in my opinion.

Thanks for the input, Larry.. I smoking them with cherry and apple...I'm also brining them.. Figured that would help with the moisture retention , and reheating, if they wanted to do that .... rubbing them with a pretty neutral , herb , type rub, and throwing white wine soaked rosemary sprigs in the fire box, every hour or so.. I have an almost unlimited supply of rosemary with the bush I have, and a two pound bag i bought a few weeks back.. ...

Again, Thanks

Nick Prochilo said:
You guys all forget one thing, Bob & myself come from the land of yuppies! No price is too high around here!

Well.. I know someone trying to get $110 for same size birds, and two sides....last I heard, he wasn't doin well at selling any.. That price might work in Nicks neighborhood, but certainy not mine :LOL:

i bbq'd a turkey for a friend of mines' parents. did a 14 pounder (fresh shadybrook farms @ 0.89/lb.) with the apple maple brine. charged him 40 bucks, figured it cost me about 25 bucks for all the materials...he came back later that nite with a leftover drumstick and an extra $20 from his parents :shock: :D ...

next year if i do any for people i don't know, i'm gonna charge $70...that still only comes to 5 dollars a pound, which is still cheaper than the $7/lb. they get in the deli for smoked turkey breast....

Rob

Back
Top Bottom