Smoked Salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
Just about ready to put a 4lb fillet on. Been in a tenderquick brine since last night. Put a grate from an ECB on top of Einstein's firebox with foilpan on top incase I get a runaway hotspot. Shooting for a couple of hours at 190. If turns out as planned, into a foodsaver bag for the wifes big bash on the 3rd.

Yeah, made the trip to Costco, got the foodsaver machine for $125 and the fish for $25.

Never used the Tenderquick stuff before, just my own brine. Got it cause Big Wheels Hotlink recipe calls for some of the stuff. Pics to come.

It was weak brine, but it could be effin salty... time will tell. Oil fishes can hold up a lot better, and Einstein's been dialed in 193 +/1 2df for the last hour. Fish is just now beginning to sweat.

Just going by memory. Last fish I smoked was well over two decades ago, maybe more. Maybe should have asked BBQ gods that reside in this reality....just some Boulder-speak - sorry.

Hey, before I forget, THANKS for your post (TFYP).

It'll take more than overnight in brine to make it too salty. Folks up here talk about smoked fish like people on this board talk about the proper way to smoke a brisket -- there's lots of varying opinions. Some folks brine salmon 4 or 5 days. Of course, they soak it out longer before smoking and they'll cold smoke it for 7 to 10 days. It comes out more like smoked salmon jerky that way. The point is you can brine it for a long time if you soak it out accordingly. Just my two cents.

Griff

I don't even want to f'ing think about it.
11.gif
9.gif
22.gif

The snow we got is the wet slushy heart-attack variety. About 16" worth on the walks. Looks like its about to move out. Just overcast now.

Jiminion wrote
TenderQuick Brine, please explain?
Jim

It's made by Morton Salt company. Find it next to the Kosher salt. Ingredients listed: salt, sugar, sodium Nitrite, sodium Nitrate, and something else for stability. Brine recipee is on the package (one cup tenderquick, 4 cups water).

The chemists here will have to explain the nitrite/nitrate thing. Been out of school too long to remember that. Hope that helps.

DATsBBQ said:
Jiminion wrote
TenderQuick Brine, please explain?
Jim

It's made by Morton Salt company. Find it next to the Kosher salt. Ingredients listed: salt, sugar, sodium Nitrite, sodium Nitrate, and something else for stability. Brine recipee is on the package (one cup tenderquick, 4 cups water).

The chemists here will have to explain the nitrite/nitrate thing. Been out of school too long to remember that. Hope that helps.

Uhm dats, Jim knows what tenderquick is, I think he finds your brine with it unusual.

Nick,
It's printed right on the package. :P Seems to have worked OK too. :shock: And is about the only thing that salt company gives away......check out Mortons web site and you will agree. :D

This thread -- and the memory of some "squaw candy" Griff treated me to a couple decades ago -- started me looking for fish brine recipes on the Web. Here's a site that will bear out what Griff said about the variety of recipes and approaches in AK. I gotta try one or two of these with the salmon fillets I've got in the freezer. I'll let y'all know how it goes. :)

--John 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom