On the chuck wagon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokin' U

Senior Cook
With all these posts about chuck I had to try some.

Ready for the Woosty.

Wolfe Rubbed.

In the smoke.

Flipped.

After resting.

Pulled and Chopped.

Time to eat.

I liked the flavor, but it just didn't want to pull very easily. I ended up chopping some of it. Maybe to 200 next time instead of 195.

Smokin' U said:
I liked the flavor, but it just didn't want to pull very easily. I ended up chopping some of it. Maybe to 200 next time instead of 195.

Chucks are indeed tricky and the only way to really tell they're done is with the fork test. If you can stick a fork in the center and twist it with very little resistance then it's done. I normally shoot for 200-205* internal temp range and then let rest for at least 2 hours foiled in a cooler.

Looked very good to me even if it didn't pull easy! Good job!!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Smokin' U":3j1933qq]

Chucks are indeed tricky and the only way to really tell they're done is with the fork test. If you can stick a fork in the center and twist it with very little resistance then it's done. I normally shoot for 200-205* internal temp range and then let rest for at least 2 hours foiled in a cooler.

Looked very good to me even if it didn't pull easy! Good job!![/quote:3j1933qq]

Alright, I will do that test next time. There will be a next time.

Smokin' U said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3cuh1si5][quote="Smokin' U":3cuh1si5]

Looked very good to me even if it didn't pull easy! Good job!![/quote:3cuh1si5]

Alright, I will do that test next time. There will be a next time.[/quote:3cuh1si5]

The flavor from the chuck is just incredible IMO. The first couple I did I had to chop like you did, but they still tasted awfully good!!!!

I usually foil the chucks at 165 to 170 then keep 'em on till they get to 200. Your chucks look really good. Thanks for the pics.

I foil at 160, off the smoker a 200, rest for at least 1 hour prefer 2 in a cooler wrapped in towels.
I also put several slits in the beef and stuff with pickled hot peppers
and fresh crushed garlic. Just for a little extra flavour.

Cheers

I got these buy one get one free. Heard the big bird has them on sale this week.

Picked up to gorgeous chuck roasts from Sam's today, total weight 9.8lbs., USDA Choice, nice marbling. Didn't get as lucky on the price though...$2..48/lb.

going on the WSM either tomorrow night or Wednesday..probably tomorrow.

Bruce B said:
Picked up to gorgeous chuck roasts from Sam's today, total weight 9.8lbs., USDA Choice, nice marbling. Didn't get as lucky on the price though...$2..48/lb.

going on the WSM either tomorrow night or Wednesday..probably tomorrow.

Bruce, Ummm..... It appears that you've neglected to mention what you will put on them in the terms of preperation and seasoning. Just wanted to bring this to your attention to save you from further questioning in the thread. :LOL:

Hey Bruce, have you ever tried Wolfe Rub, Finney Rub #1 or even McCormacks?
4.gif
The McCormacks is the best!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom