4 Butts on the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
Sunday morning I got up at 1:40 AM and started the fire in the WSM. While it was getting to temperature I rubbed down the butts with mustard and TexasBBQrub. I put the 4 butts on at 2:25AM. I had a time getting the temperature regulated for the next few hours. Finally about 5AM it seemed to maintain about 225 to 230. I left for church at 8 AM and left the wife to regulate the heat. I told her to keep it between 225 and 250. She was able to maintain it at about 240. When I got back from church around 11 AM the butt on the top rack was at 155 the other about 3 degrees lower. I wanted to take them off at about 1:30 and let them rest for an hour…WELL…I increased the heat to about 280 at 11 AM. One butt was at 195 at about 1:30 two others were at about 190 at 1:50. I was able to pull and chop at about 2:20PM . I wish I had time to let them rest for an hour but that wasn’t going to happen because the family get together was a 3:00PM. I pulled and chopped. The first butt was the best the others were ok. The last one was at 195 when I left to go to the family get together so I just closed the vents on the WSM and pulled it off about an hour later (I left the get together for alittle while to tend to the last butt).

I will start even earlier next time or run the smoker hotter from the start. I should have given myself 2 hours a pound as suggested. The butts were 7 to 8 pounds a piece except one was 9 pounds.

Here are the pictures.
img2806smalllk7.jpg

img2808smallry6.jpg

Looks good! Next time, post BEFORE you start cooking. I can be in Asheboro in less than an hour... [smilie=a_bigteeth.gif]

cleglue said:
Larry D. said:
I can be in Asheboro in less than an hour... [smilie=a_bigteeth.gif]

Some company sure would have been great. Sometimes the wee hours of the morning get a little lonely especially the 2 AM hour.

A lot of time, John LaBatts keeps me company..lol. Good looking eats !

Looks good , I usually pull mine at the 200 degree mark, but the good thing about BBQ is I have never met any I didn`t like. Its a perfect day to BBQ and I can`t even get out the house because of the gout. Maybe I will be over this by Tommorow cause if I am I will be out on the smoker I got 8 butts down on the freezer , got a good sale at a local grocery store 98 cents a pound , just could not pass that up. Thanks for the pics I can almost taste them !!

Back
Top Bottom