Turkey Breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Grocery store had fresh turkey breasts on sale for .99lb, so I picked up two 7lbers. Brined in my simple brine recipe that I've been using for years, overnight. Smoked around 250* using Kingsford and hickory chunks and pulled at 160*. Very moist and tender! So so much better than the pumped birds from the store.

They looked great Larry! I grab them also when they are on sale. $0.99 per pound is great. Smoked turkey breast from the deli is $7.99 per pound!

Captain Morgan said:
great color Larry! I'm thinking of smoking instead of frying this Turkey Day...is the skin edible when you smoke it?

No Jim, the skin isn't edible. But that's cause I cook it slow. You could get crisp skin if you cook with higher temps. I've tried it both ways and the brined/low & slow is by far superior to the higher temp cooked birds. The skin is a small sacrifice that must be made though.

Looks great Larry. I gotta a couple of those turkey breasts in the freezer I need to do. Mind sharing that simple brine ??

cflatt said:
Looks great Larry. I gotta a couple of those turkey breasts in the freezer I need to do. Mind sharing that simple brine ??

Sure Curtis,I'll post it in the poultry section!

Looks great, Larry. My wife isn't quite as much a bbq fan as I am, so about every 3rd or 4th cook I do a turkey breast. Mr. Prochilo is right, based on deli prices I've almost paid for my WSM in turkey breasts alone.

Larry D. said:
Looks great, Larry. My wife isn't quite as much a bbq fan as I am, so about every 3rd or 4th cook I do a turkey breast. Mr. Prochilo is right, based on deli prices I've almost paid for my WSM in turkey breasts alone.

And you get a better product by doing it yourself!

Looks Great Larry,very tastey.
Just wondering about the brining. I have only done fish for short times, about an hour. Did you refridgerate them for the 12 hour brine? Looks like you have them in a big pot. I don't think I have that kind of space in my fridge, I want to try it, I love moist white Turkey meat :P

Green Hornet said:
Looks Great Larry,very tastey.
Just wondering about the brining. I have only done fish for short times, about an hour. Did you refridgerate them for the 12 hour brine? Looks like you have them in a big pot. I don't think I have that kind of space in my fridge, I want to try it, I love moist white Turkey meat :P

GH, I used food grade buckets from my wife's work. They're actually cake frosting buckets. You don't have to use a bucket or a refridgerator. You can put the brine in a small cooler and use a trash bag full of ice to keep it cold. You must keep it below 40* the whole time. Whatever you do, just make sure the turkey is fully submerged in the brine.

That looks Killer Larry.

I like pulled turkey BBQ. Pulled turkey breast mixed vinegar/pepper sauce. Makes a slap happy sammie. Good for ya too!

Good Q!

Jack

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Larry D.":28dvl5dw]Looks great, Larry. My wife isn't quite as much a bbq fan as I am, so about every 3rd or 4th cook I do a turkey breast. Mr. Prochilo is right, based on deli prices I've almost paid for my WSM in turkey breasts alone.

And you get a better product by doing it yourself![/quote:28dvl5dw]

This being the #1 reason to do it yourself.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Green Hornet":14ibph0i]Looks Great Larry,very tastey.

GH, I used food grade buckets from my wife's work. They're actually cake frosting buckets. You don't have to use a bucket or a refridgerator. You can put the brine in a small cooler and use a trash bag full of ice to keep it cold. You must keep it below 40* the whole time. Whatever you do, just make sure the turkey is fully submerged in the brine.[/quote:14ibph0i]Thanks, I didn't think that it would be good outside or room temp for that long. Can we expect Wolfe Brine in the future?

Green Hornet said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":37whrn4a][quote="Green Hornet":37whrn4a]Looks Great Larry,very tastey.

GH, I used food grade buckets from my wife's work. They're actually cake frosting buckets. You don't have to use a bucket or a refridgerator. You can put the brine in a small cooler and use a trash bag full of ice to keep it cold. You must keep it below 40* the whole time. Whatever you do, just make sure the turkey is fully submerged in the brine.[/quote:37whrn4a]Thanks, I didn't think that it would be good outside or room temp for that long. Can we expect Wolfe Brine in the future?[/quote:37whrn4a]

Great idea! I can see it now, all you do is add 3 gallons of water to packet of brine mix!!! Yes!!

Great looking Turkey.

I see that in my near future. 8)

Did you have them sitting on a BBC ring? they look to be proped up on something.

Cliff H. said:
Great looking Turkey.

Did you have them sitting on a BBC ring? they look to be proped up on something.

They're staning on the rib bones of the breast, no ring.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Cliff H.":3or1jer9]Great looking Turkey.

They're staning on the rib bones of the breast, no ring.[/quote:3or1jer9]

I've been a fan of breasts proped up on rib bones for many years.

Back
Top Bottom