The American Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
HFD26 said:
What is everyone's favorite way to fix up and serve the good old American classic "The Hot Dog"? What is your favorite brand of dog and why? We ain't talkin Polish or smoked sausages here, we be talkin about the dog. My favorite is Hebrew National grilled over an open fire or coals. The flavor is not overpowering and they have a good balanced flavor. I also like Vieanna natural caseing when I can find them. Serve em up on a bun with mustard, ketchup, chili, and onions. Fritos on the side.
That's just wrong.

Finney said:
HFD26 said:
What is everyone's favorite way to fix up and serve the good old American classic "The Hot Dog"? What is your favorite brand of dog and why? We ain't talkin Polish or smoked sausages here, we be talkin about the dog. My favorite is Hebrew National grilled over an open fire or coals. The flavor is not overpowering and they have a good balanced flavor. I also like Vieanna natural caseing when I can find them. Serve em up on a bun with mustard, ketchup, chili, and onions. Fritos on the side.
That's just wrong.
Nope....Ketchup on a dog is the way to go

HFD26 said:
Finney said:
HFD26 said:
That's just wrong.

If every automobile was designed the same life would have no meaning would it Finney? Same with the dog.
Different is good. Ketchup on a hot dog is still wrong.

BTW: my fav is sweet potato mustard and blue cheese slaw. [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

Finney said:
HFD26 said:
Finney said:
HFD26 said:
That's just wrong.

If every automobile was designed the same life would have no meaning would it Finney? Same with the dog.
Different is good. Ketchup on a hot dog is still wrong.

BTW: my fav is sweet potato mustard and blue cheese slaw. [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]
[smilie=banana.gif]

Ketchup only. no mustard, no relish, no onions, no potato mustard or whatever the heck finney uses, just good 'ol ketchup.

Captain Morgan said:
No ketchup on my dogs. Ever.

Mustard onions chili and slaw. It's the Carolina Dog.

Amen brother! Only other way I like them is with sauerkraut and spicy mustard!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3296e6pb]No ketchup on my dogs. Ever.

Mustard onions chili and slaw. It's the Carolina Dog.

Amen brother! Only other way I like them is with sauerkraut and spicy mustard![/quote:3296e6pb]
Now where I am from...slaw and sauerkratut or two different things....one of you guys care to inlighten me

Far as I know the hot dog was invented in Frankfort Germany. What's a American hot dog? Oscar? :LOL:
Hot dogs & frankfurters
The history of the American hot dog, as we know it today, traces its roots to Austrian/German immigrants who settled in our country in the 19th century. These people introduced their traditional weinerwurst, along with several other "Old World" sausages. Hot dogs (aka frankfurters) descended from these. Manufacturing methods/ingredients/packaging technology have changed due to food science advancements. Condiments/accompaniments, as always, are a matter of local taste and time. These range from traditional (sauerkraut) to the "works" (mustard, ketchup, pickle relish). Chicago-style is different from New York style.

ABOUT WEINERWURST
Weinerwurst (Vienna sausage)is said to have orginated in Austria. Hence, the name. This product is related to frankfurters (hot dogs). It is a member of the German Bruhwurst family:

"Bruhwurst: This term means a parboiled sausage, made from finely chopped raw meat, not intended for keeping, usually scalded by the manufacturer, sometimes smoked, to be heated before serving, always sliceable, often red in color."
---Oxford Companion to Food, Alan Davidson [Oxford University Press:Oxford] 1999 (p. 701)

About hot dogs/National Hot Dog and Sausage Council
Recommneded reading: "Hot dogs," Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America/Andrew F. Smith editor [Oxford University Press:New York] 2004, Volume 1 (p. 687-689)

FRANK TWITCHELL, HOT DOG KING
"What happened was that Chicago was a city of parks and, although I didn't know it then, Chicago's 5,000 acres of parks were to play a major role in my life. In those days, before World War I, the city's park commissioners weren't politicians but prominent and usually civic-minded businessmen...The used to go to the Heidelberg to eat, before or after their meetings, and they got to know and like my father. They'd even ask his opinion; after all, he was running one of the best restaurants in town. And so, one thing led to another, and the commissioners wound up asking my father if he would take over the parks concessions...The commissioners apparently were out to hustle better food and service in the South Park system, and Frank Twitchell more or less fell into place...The first thing he did was to arrange to buy hot dogs made to his specifications from Oscar Mayer, the meat packer. How's that for class: hot dogs made to his specifications. My father built a better hot dog and people started beating a path to the parks, where his hot dog stands began to sprout in strategic places along the South Park Lake Front."
---My Luke and I, Eleanor Gerhig and Joseph Durso [Thomas Y. Crowell:New York] 1976 (p. 56-6)

I eat Ballpark all beef dogs with mustard (French's yellow) and sweet pickle relish. Or chili. When I put chili on a dog it's just chili, no mustard or anything else. And a cold beer.

Griff

Gosh, I love them so many ways!

With ketchup, onions, mustard, and pickle relish.
Slathered in chili or coney sauce with onions and mustard
Sonic's Chili-cheese with slaw and mustard on top
with slaw, mustard, and ketchup
with saurkraut, mustard, ketchup,and onions

The Ultimate is a Coney dog from Coney Island in Fort Wayne! Those are just awesome! They have their own special made coney sauce and are served with onions and just a little bit of mustard. The chili soup with onions and oyster crackers is great too!

Sometimes I just plain grill them, put on a bun with a little yellow mustard. Sometimes I slit them, stuff with cheese and wrap with bacon and grill. And who can forget, just sliced up and thrown into a pot of beans! My kids and I call that cowboy food!

If I am in a hurry, I split them down the middle and put some sharp cheese in there and nuke them. If I am not in a hurry, grilled with onions and mayo on a bun. YUMMY!

After my Southern vacation last month and having tried both the Carolina dog and the Carolina burger. I have to agree with Larry & Cappy. I thought slaw on a hot dog or burger :shock:
Good stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom