Anyone have a recipe for making Pastrami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the commercial corned beef I have tried strikes me as way too salty to make a good pastrami and curing it yourself will result in much superior results I think. If you decide to go that route give me holler cuz I got a killer recipe for it which aint hard to do. If you want to proceed as planned using the commercial variety...I would start out by soaking it in a copious amount of cold water under refrigeration for at least 24 hours..changing the water a few times. At the end of that time dry it off and rub it down with black peppa and ground corriander. Cook it on the pit with plenty of smoke at normal bbq temps (250 or therabouts) till it hits a peak and dont seem to want to climb any higher. This usually happens at an internal temp of 175-180. Cool it down and slice it thin against the grain like you would any other brisket or brisket flat. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

Smokey_Joe said:
Am hoping to try self doctoring a corned beef...with instruction ...of course.

Follow the instructions at the link Griff posted with the following changes for red pastrami:

Follow Chris's suggestions for flat selection and trimming.

For the dry cure use:

1/4 cup Morton Tender Quick
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons granulated onion

Use the best Hungarian sweet paprika you can find.

Follow the curing and turning instructions. Rinse very well and soak as instructed.

For the cooking rub use:

3 tablespoons paprika
2 t sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seeds, slightly coarse grind
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1/2 t cayenne

If using a corned beef soak in cold water for a few hours, changing the water twice, dry, then rub with the above cooking rub. You'll get better flavor, imo, from starting with a raw brisket flat but try the corned beef and see hwat you think.

For a deli finish you can add a steaming phase to the end.

Back
Top Bottom