OK, what ya think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
The only cafe/bar (the Merc) in Jamestown has live music on Thursday night has a special menu (One Meat entree or Veggee option). Anyway, a couple of times a year I will dared the owner of the establishment to put (my) Q on the menu right next to the Merc Burger.

Last week I stopped by his house and gave him four Back Ribs that I had Qed on Einstein earlier that day. Yesterday, he suggested that we look in to doing Q at the Merc one of this coming Thursday nights.

Thurdays nights he usually serves 25 - 30 folks and its between $12-$15 head. The band works for tips. The "guest chef" eats & (sometimes) drinks free. The Mercs buys all the food, I supply them with a shopping list

Since most folks around here couldn't ID a briskett or a butt, I'm leaning towards St. Louis style spare ribs. Beans and tator salad as the sides. You think 1/2 rack with two sides for $12.00 or a full rack with sides for $16.00 is fair?

I'm open to suggestions. :D

DATsBBQ said:
The only cafe/bar (the Merc) in Jamestown has live music on Thursday night has a special menu (One Meat entree or Veggee option). Anyway, a couple of times a year I will dared the owner of the establishment to put (my) Q on the menu right next to the Merc Burger.

Last week I stopped by his house and gave him four Back Ribs that I had Qed on Einstein earlier that day. Yesterday, he suggested that we look in to doing Q at the Merc one of this coming Thursday nights.

Thurdays nights he usually serves 25 - 30 folks and its between $12-$15 head. The band works for tips. The "guest chef" eats & (sometimes) drinks free. The Mercs buys all the food, I supply them with a shopping list

Since most folks around here couldn't ID a briskett or a butt, I'm leaning towards St. Louis style spare ribs. Beans and tator salad as the sides. You think 1/2 rack with two sides for $12.00 or a full rack with sides for $16.00 is fair?

I'm open to suggestions. :D

I'd do $15 for the half rack and two sides and $20 for the full rack and two sides and not for a penny less cause you're still gonna lose money if you add it all up. I sell full racks of LB's for $18 each and that's just enough to cover my cost, not time!

BTGG wrote:
12 is okay for the 1/2 rack but I think 18 for full racks is the going rate. At least around here

I'll go with that. Now this is great unknown. Not everyone will want a full rack, I guessing with 30 total heads, I'll need 20 half racks and 10 full racks for a total of 20 racks on the smoker? I'd rather error on making too racks than not enough. They won't go to waste, Joey will get sold during the week as a lunch special of somekind.

As to the crowd, the historical demographics suggest that the crowd will be male dominated, 30 - 45 yr with some of the "adults" that just came of age along with some "seasoned" citizens. Figure 21 guys, 9 babes and the all important band who gets to eat free so figure another 3-5 servings.

Don't have a clue to a veggie option. Does smoked tofu taste like what ever the vegans want stuff to taste like? Maybe smoked squash with shredded tree bark stuffing? I'll probally just the kitchen worry about that one.

DATsBBQ said:
Don't have a clue to a veggie option. Does smoked tofu taste like what ever the vegans want stuff to taste like? Maybe smoked squash with shredded tree bark stuffing? I'll probally just the kitchen worry about that one.
If you wanna do sides do something very simple and very cheap..........ie, simmer green beans with a ham hock or two and an onion thrown in. Or pinto beans the same way. You can cook alot of both for next to nothing!

I do grilled squash, both green and yellow with onion. Just sprinkle a little EVOO and some seasoning and toss on a hot grill. Gooood stuff.

Not doing them on the egg. I'd need a dozen eggs. :roll: My partner in Q has an offset (stick burner Oklahoma Joe-ish) that will do 20 racks with the addition of rib-racks, no pun intended :D

Sides would be what ever the kitchen staff (1 cook) is asked to prepare. Hey, this is a small town. Click this link for a feel of what the Merc is like:
http://www.jamestownmerc.com/

The idea is the Merc makes some $$$, the guest chef gets free booze and some public notice. I'm only out my time and reputation.

I've cooked for private parties (mine) and have had rave reviews, but this would be the first in a commercial setting. Needless to say, don't want to screw it up as the guest chefs name is on the chaulk board outside and everybody has to drive past it to get up the hill.

The butcher quoted me $2.35/lb for 3.5 & down (case price), 1.99 lb for briskett (packers) and $2.49 bone in butt. Compared to Safeway, those prices look like a bargain.

If I go the rib route I'll serve 1/2 slabs (might cut em down to St. Louis) I'll need 2 cases. If I go the Brisket route, looks like 30# raw meat. If I go the pulled pork route I figure I'll need #35 raw.

Back
Top Bottom