Eeek It's a Gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't beat the thing for turning out commercial barbecue. None of my pick up customers noted a difference, as well as customers that I cooked on site also, Sure I like cooking with wood and lump, BUT If they cant tell the difference, why do it the hard (right) way. No doubt I could never get away with this style of barbecue down south, (umm maybe commercial joints) but business is business, cash is where it's at, there really is no different than a old hick or a southern pride.
Add wood, fire up the burner, water in the pan.. ( those who use one ) sell it off to the public.
I'm I cheating my customers? I think not because of all the repeat patronage I have.
I do freebie's for the senior, and the money run for the food bank, along with the American cancer society. (Relay for life) works for me. plus I get a ton of sleep.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Can't beat the thing for turning out commercial barbecue. None of my pick up customers noted a difference, as well as customers that I cooked on site also, Sure I like cooking with wood and lump, BUT If they cant tell the difference, why do it the hard (right) way. No doubt I could never get away with this style of barbecue down south, (umm maybe commercial joints) but business is business, cash is where it's at, there really is no different than a old hick or a southern pride.
Add wood, fire up the burner, water in the pan.. ( those who use one ) sell it off to the public.
I'm I cheating my customers? I think not because of all the repeat patronage I have.
I do freebie's for the senior, and the money run for the food bank, along with the American cancer society. (Relay for life) works for me. plus I get a ton of sleep.

So tell us about the cooker, Chris. Is this yours or a loaner? What's the brand and cooking capacity.

Might I also suggest a little music to cook with..........Mason William's Classical Gas! :D

Congrats on the new cooker!

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":3kq9nx0d]Can't beat the thing for turning out commercial barbecue. None of my pick up customers noted a difference, as well as customers that I cooked on site also, Sure I like cooking with wood and lump, BUT If they cant tell the difference, why do it the hard (right) way. No doubt I could never get away with this style of barbecue down south, (umm maybe commercial joints) but business is business, cash is where it's at, there really is no different than a old hick or a southern pride.

So tell us about the cooker, Chris. Is this yours or a loaner? What's the brand and cooking capacity.

Might I also suggest a little music to cook with..........Mason William's Classical Gas! :D

Congrats on the new cooker![/quote:3kq9nx0d]

4.gif

I think you are cheating them, Pigs. We know how you feel about gas vs. wood...you believe one thing but are cooking it another...even though the customer isn't going to be able to tell, you know the difference! And since you know the difference I think you are cheating them!

However, bidness is bidness. I'm not trying to get after you Pigs...we (I) just know how you feel about Q... ;) :D :D

Yes Greg, sad but true. In a perfect world I would do things different that's for sure, but I must say that the gasser does a pretty good job of turning out decent barbecue. If I lived in the south and could cook on a brick pit with a tin roof all year round I sure would.. Reality of commercial barbecue is, get the best product out at the lowest price, I by no means want to "cheat" my customers, but if they like it and keep coming back for more I'm a happy man.

Well I feel your pain and do not quibble with your motives in the least. As long as they like to eat whut you are selling I think you got it made. As my dearly departed Mama was often heard saying.."The proof of the pudding is in the eating." Now have you ever thought of an electric fired insulated pit? If I was wanting to get in that evil old food bidness in the bbq section..believe I would go that route. Had a pal who say he built a ho made gas fired pit one time and his stuff come out too sooty. Whut do you reckon he done wrong on that deal? Got to me near some type of air intake isssue dont you think? Thanks for your expertise in these matters.

bigwheel

Yes Greg, sad but true. In a perfect world I would do things different that's for sure, but I must say that the gasser does a pretty good job of turning out decent barbecue. If I lived in the south and could cook on a brick pit with a tin roof all year round I sure would.. Reality of commercial barbecue is, get the best product out at the lowest price, I by no means want to "cheat" my customers, but if they like it and keep coming back for more I'm a happy man.

Pigs, many commercial ventures have to do exactly what you're doing.
Fact is, if I sold what I turn in at competitions, the price would be
20 to 25 dollars a pound I imagine.

As long as you have your feet rooted in the tradition, using your head to make money is ok with me.

Pig what is the size of the great outdoor smoker did you get. It looks to be the big black smoker but is it the 36'' or the 34'' one let know I may have a few questions. 8)

i have a great outdoors smokey mountain as well

this is the smaller one, i just recently picked up the big block model which is wider, wider is better 8)

img_60823_0_2c53cb421bea232dafb0e9665b753b36.jpg

It's called the Big Block, 36 inches. Only reason I bought it was because about 5 years ago I did a big wedding with sliced pork and leg of lamb. I can fit 4 full disposable hotel pans in there, I like the thing, putt's out a constant product and I can get some sleep. A great example was tonight, rain, a little wind and it kept chugging like there was no problem. Sure, It's not for all, But the next time I use it I sure will get some sleep.

Works for me.

It's called the Big Block, 36 inches. Only reason I bought it was because about 5 years ago I did a big wedding with sliced pork and leg of lamb. I can fit 4 full disposable hotel pans in there, I like the thing, putt's out a constant product and I can get some sleep. A great example was tonight, rain, a little wind and it kept chugging like there was no problem. Sure, It's not for all, But the next time I use it I sure will get some sleep.

Works for me.

That's what it's all about pigs, what ever works for you!

Yup, it's kind of funny, 2 I did with cheap mustard and 2 just with a white vinegar wash. The 2 with the cheap mustard pulled better. Why I have no clue. All 4 butts were done at the same time, but the ones I slathered with the cheap mustard seemed to be better. Strange indeed.
I only loaded it with wood two times in a 12 hour cook, I have not had all that much experience with a water pan in the past on any pit, But I feel with a water pan you can get a bigger yield of product. These were Sea Board butts, (I hate the damn things) I'll take Indiana packers, or Excel any day.
As far as a gas pit, I'll use it again for commercial barbecue. A stable temp and best of all you can get a time frame when it's done.

wdroller said:
Hey, Pigs on the Wing. I spent a ton of $$ for my pit because people were trying to pass stuff like that off on me as Q. If your customers can't tell the difference, then they haven't had real Q. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. :LOL:
Guess you spent way too much money! :D

Back
Top Bottom