Our first cook!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
Here are some pics of our first smoke this weekend. I know we have some work to do but this was edible!

Looks good Allie! That's the best thing about BBQ, you get to practice alot and still eat!

I rubbed it with the same stuff I put on the pork. It was a rub Steve-O sent me. It was a bit too salty for my taste and I'll be doing some more experimenting until I get the flavor I want. The chicken was put on at the same time as the pork and was pulled off about 11 hours later and put into foil until time to serve. The pork was foiled after 13 1/2 hours. We put them in a cooler and then took them out about 30 minutes before serving and I pulled it with two forks and put a little drizzle of sauce (NC style) on it.

Hi Allie,

I have almost the same pit, did you burn wood in it or charcoal? also that flat piece on the top of the firebox was that an add on or can you buy them that way?

I agree, the chicken cooked way too long. This was our first time and was definitely a learning experience.

As for the smoker, I'm not sure if it was an add-on or came that way. Les worked on repossessed homes and found this in a storage shed. He brought it home and we cleaned it up a bit. This was our first time using it and we didn't do any mods on it.

We used 10 lbs of charcoal, 25 pounds of hickory chunks, and some kind of fruit wood we had here. I really think we used too much wood.

allie said:
I agree, the chicken cooked way too long. This was our first time and was definitely a learning experience.

As for the smoker, I'm not sure if it was an add-on or came that way. Les worked on repossessed homes and found this in a storage shed. He brought it home and we cleaned it up a bit. This was our first time using it and we didn't do any mods on it.

We used 10 lbs of charcoal, 25 pounds of hickory chunks, and some kind of fruit wood we had here. I really think we used too much wood.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm only guessing here, but I think you could have cut back a little on the wood.

Nice looking cooker Allie ;)

Seems like an awful lot of wood :shock:

Try some Wolfe Rub, it's good stuff ;)

Thanks Puff! After we get this cooking thing figured out, I'll have to get some Wolfe Rub. I'd hate to spend the money and then burn it! LOL

I agree we used too much wood. Hey, you live and learn.......that's what it's all about!

It was very smokey but decent. The pork was fine after I put a little extra sauce on it. We ate every bite of it! As for the chicken, it wasn't awful if you removed the skin. It was actually still quite moist and I ended up pulling it and putting sauce on it as well. There's only a couple of leg quarters left so I guess everyone enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom