sunday cook pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
Yesterday I did some ribs and some chicken. The chicken was the best yet. I started the ribs on the WSM but for some reason the WSM would not get above 215-220 and I like to do ribs hoter. It was going perfect when I was seasoning it. Maybe I did not light enough charcoal or maybe royal oak does not burn as hot. I dont know. So I said srew it and fired up the the gator. So I cranked the Judge up to 275 and tossed the ribs would have kept it lower but my grandmom was coming over for dinner and she does not like to drive at night. The ribs wher not the best I have done but they were still good.

Here are a few pics they kind of suck
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... ux3dg&Ux=1

Chris

They look good to me Chris.

How many lit coals did you start off with in the WSM?

I start off with about 10 lit coals with the bottom vents 100% open. Leave the bottom vents open until your dome temp gets to 200*, then close them 75%. Your temperature will initially drop a couple to several degrees, but will start and continue to climb to 240-260* range. Just be patient, they will climb. That will give you a top grate temp of 225-245* which is perfect.

Larry Wolfe said:

I start off with about 10 lit coals with the bottom vents 100% open. Leave the bottom vents open until your dome temp gets to 200*, then close them 75%. Your temperature will initially drop a couple to several degrees, but will start and continue to climb to 240-260* range. Just be patient, they will climb. That will give you a top grate temp of 225-245* which is perfect.

Larry I started with 15 lit coals and the bottom vents were 100% open. took about 30min to get up to 200 and another 30 min to got up to 215-220. I did not see it get above 223 the whole 1hour30min-1hr 45min I had it going. I even lit more coals to try and get it up to temp but it did not seem to help. But when I was seasoning it got up to 200 in about 20-30 min and after I pored the lit coals onto it. Then I close the vents and it seemed like it goto up to temp real quick and just costed at 240 for hours. My only guess is the type of charcoal I was burning. I am going to try messing with it some time soon.

Maybe Im just not ment to burn charcoal #-o
Chris

chris1237 said:
Larry Wolfe said:

Larry I started with 15 lit coals and the bottom vents were 100% open. took about 30min to get up to 200 and another 30 min to got up to 215-220. I did not see it get above 223 the whole 1hour30min-1hr 45min I had it going. I even lit more coals to try and get it up to temp but it did not seem to help. But when I was seasoning it got up to 200 in about 20-30 min and after I pored the lit coals onto it. Then I close the vents and it seemed like it goto up to temp real quick and just costed at 240 for hours. My only guess is the type of charcoal I was burning. I am going to try messing with it some time soon.

Maybe Im just not ment to burn charcoal #-o
Chris

Could be the coals. Calibrate your thermometers and if they're "on", get new coals!

Chris, I had the same thing with one bag of RO. Luckily it was the end of a bag that had already been opened. Could be the bag itself, coulda just been all the humidity lately. Opened a fresh bag and it took right off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom