Drop and Go price - Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
ok.. a friend called me and asked for pork and chicken (just the meat) for 50-75 people... to be delivered hot.

I am comfortable with just selling the pork at $7.00/lb like I normally do .. I am figuring 20 lbs of pork. But I don't know what to charge for the chicken.

I was thinking 60 thighs and 30 legs.. thats 90 pieces.. cost would be about 30 bucks... so 90 bucks????? It seems kinda high if you think thighs and legs for a buck a piece if I was buying it... but it seems low to be charging only getting 60 bucks for 2-3 hours of work cooking chicken.

I also thought for the same 30 bucks I could do 10 whole chickens.. maybe beer can chicks... but some would say.. you can get rotis chicken at walmart for 6 bucks each... I feel I'd have to charge 10 bucks each to make it worth my while...

I have never been good at pricing chicken... HELP

Gary in VA said:
ok.. a friend called me and asked for pork and chicken (just the meat) for 50-75 people... to be delivered hot.

I am comfortable with just selling the pork at $7.00/lb like I normally do .. I am figuring 20 lbs of pork. But I don't know what to charge for the chicken.

I was thinking 60 thighs and 30 legs.. thats 90 pieces.. cost would be about 30 bucks... so 90 bucks????? It seems kinda high if you think thighs and legs for a buck a piece if I was buying it... but it seems low to be charging only getting 60 bucks for 2-3 hours of work cooking chicken.

I also thought for the same 30 bucks I could do 10 whole chickens.. maybe beer can chicks... but some would say.. you can get rotis chicken at walmart for 6 bucks each... I feel I'd have to charge 10 bucks each to make it worth my while...

I have never been good at pricing chicken... HELP

Don't sell yourself short, make the cook worth your while or just don't do it! I sell whole chickens for $13 each. Tell the guy you'll cook 20lbs of pork and 90 pieces of chicken for $250.00. That's $5 per person if you have 50 people and $3.33 per person if you have 75. You can't buy a PP sandwich and a piece of chicken that cheap around here.

I think $5.50 per person is fare. If you add sides then I would go up. I am doing a drop and go 1 meat and two sides with tea for $8.50 per person.

Larry, that price of $250 is in line with what I was thinking also. I can be comfortable with that.

And for Cappie.. I will consider adding some white meat. We'll see what price costco has for split breasts. Its just that thighs and legs are so easy.

$7.00 a lb.

You have got to be Jackin' me. If you figure your cost on pulled pork, (time, fuel, meat, wood, charcoal) you gotta have about $7.00 a lb. in it!!!!!!!!!
If my people won't pay the $14.00 a lb. I ask for it (and they do) I tell them to go to Famous Dave's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
Have a GREAT 4th and don't sell yourself short. Once you price cheap, it's hard to get what it is really worth.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom