Fathers Day Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look pretty damn good to me! Nice grill marks on the angle. :(

Thanks,

I loved them, but my family said they tasted too much like wood. What other kind of wood would be a milder taste.

Cherry! =P~ Apple's good too, or a combination. :( IMO, of course. :!:

Edit: After thinking about it, Sugar Maple ain't too bad either.

Hey John, those ribs sure look good. Sorry they didn't taste as good as the first ones did.

JWJR40 said:
Thanks,

I loved them, but my family said they tasted too much like wood. What other kind of wood would be a milder taste.

Your grates look nice and clean :grin: I usually go with 2 chunks pecan and 3-4 chunks of apple or cherry for ribs and that usually comes out well.
For me it depends on how many slabs I'm smokin, that will depend on how much wood I'm usin..typically 4-6 chunks (just about fist size) is plenty for me.

Also it might help for cleanup if you are going to use water in the pan to foil the pan and then add your water, makes for easier, less messy cleanup

I used hickory. Must have put a little tooo much. I would like to try some others but I cant find anything but hickory and mesquite.

JWJR40 said:
I used hickory. Must have put a little tooo much. I would like to try some others but I cant find anything but hickory and mesquite.

Fortunately around here we have a smoke and fireplace store that handles all kinds of woods. If you don't have one of those around you might want to check the grocery store. I've seen at least the chips at my grocery store in hickory, oak and apple, sometimes cherry as well. If you find the chips you might want to soak them for about 2 hours before you throw them on your wsm.

How much bark was on the hickory chunks? IMO bark can give off a heavy smoke, I always try to remove the bark if I am able.

brian j said:
JWJR40 said:
3 fist size chunks in my wsm that have not been soaked in water.

I would agree, do not soak the chunks but in a case you have to get chips I would suggest soaking those.....

I don't soak my chunks. I just think that I put tooooo much in. I put about 6 nice pieces in. They tasted fine to me and the wife, but the kids didn't care for the taste.

JWJR40 said:
I don't soak my chunks. I just think that I put tooooo much in. I put about 6 nice pieces in. They tasted fine to me and the wife, but the kids didn't care for the taste.

Tell those Chillin's to go to Taco Bell!

Back
Top Bottom