The plan for this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wittdog

Master Chef
Well it looks like it’s going to be a good weekend. I’ve decided that I need a mental heath day tonight so it looks like another long weekend. I’m making a BJ’s run today for some ribs and I’ll probably come back with some butts as well. The vac pac thing has been working so well we are running out of it in the freezer and we will probably have company on Sunday. The Pens are coming by for some dinner and adult bev. On Friday, right now the menu looks like Deviled Eggs, Mozzarella Smores , and ABTs for appetizers, Steak & Ribs as the main course, and some beans and whatever else as the sides. The adult bev will consist of Labatt’s Blue Light and Jell-O Egg Shots. I’ll be smoking the Canadian Bacon on the Electro while the Ribs are on Buford I might try to do a piece of the Canadian Bacon on Buford. So Friday we will have 2 smokers chugging along and the grill fired up.

Man Dog, you is a busy little camper. The wife and kids are leaving for the beach this weekend and I will be putting the finishing touches on the shed. NO COOKING FOR ME. :badgrin:

Are you boycotting the WSM ???? You might as well sell it to me..Ill bring $40. with me friday...

john pen said:
Are you boycotting the WSM ???? You might as well sell it to me..Ill bring $40. with me friday...
I'm not boycotting the WSM I just like to burn sticks, I think I'm going to do the Butts on the WSM. I think that the WSM will be my winter pit of choice. I don't spell well enough to be a WSM user. :razz:

chris1237 said:
Sounds like a good plan. I got the Judge going now.

Chris
Chris please inform these elderly gentlemen how rewarding it is to cook on a stick burner. The satisfaction one gets from babying that piece of meat and making the necessary adjustments and so forth. :razz:

BTW guys the WSM otherwise known as “Lazy Qâ€

wittdog said:
chris1237 said:
Sounds like a good plan. I got the Judge going now.

Chris
Chris please inform these elderly gentlemen how rewarding it is to cook on a stick burner. The satisfaction one gets from babying that piece of meat and making the necessary adjustments and so forth. :razz:

I always loved using a stick burner. I just love to play with fire =P~. I love them becaue it gives me something to do. WSMs are great dont aint going to down talk them. I might end up getting on of them for the smaller cooks and when I do not feel like tending the pit.

Chris

Hey I love my WSM too they are great when you don't have the time to watch the pit or for long overnight cooks. They are nice and portable and put out a great product. But I like being a little more involved in the cook.

Paymaster said:
wittdog said:
I’m making a BJ’s run today for some ribs .

I have heard a lot of folks talk about buying ribs a BJ's but they are less expensive at Sams or Super WalMart here. Is there a reason for BJ preference?
BJ's is closer to my house, its where I have a membership and I think the price is good compared to the other stores around here. I haven't been to Sam's in a while........Also BJ's also has butts all the time, brisket most of the time (which is hard to find up here) and the people in my local BJ's have been great as far as getting me what I want. Like fresh hams and such which is not a common item in these parts.

wittdog said:
Paymaster said:
wittdog said:
I’m making a BJ’s run today for some ribs .

I have heard a lot of folks talk about buying ribs a BJ's but they are less expensive at Sams or Super WalMart here. Is there a reason for BJ preference?
BJ's is closer to my house, its where I have a membership and I think the price is good compared to the other stores around here. I haven't been to Sam's in a while........Also BJ's also has butts all the time, brisket most of the time (which is hard to find up here) and the people in my local BJ's have been great as far as getting me what I want. Like fresh hams and such which is not a common item in these parts.

I know what you mean wittdog. I am not a member of BJ but there is store up here that 90% is where I go to get my meats. Wal mart has good prices but their meats are not that good and they dont always have them in stock. Also most of the people who work their are stupid. For example the other day I called walmart up to see if they had any baby back ribs in stock and what the price on them is. I got the operater in the store and asked for the meat department and the lady says do you want deli No you i want the place where I can meats like fresh ones. oya before I called my dad said if it turns out they have them in stock throw those yo yos that work there for a loop and ask them if the meats are injected with a salt solution. So when I finally go some one in meat department I asked do you have baby back ribs in stock. I got do you want beef ribs. No baby back ribs are pork. Well they did not have them in stock so I did not get to test their what they know about meats. This is not like the other place I goto at all they know the meats and they are very helpful. I dont know about sams because I never went to them.

Chris

you can use the jello egg molds to make them. I believe they usually stock more of them around easter. other than that , should be the same

Oh, okay. Just referring to the shape. I was hoping you didn't put real egg into them or something.

I have 2 oz solo cups with lids that I use for mine. I have a bar butler that has the thing that sticks on the top of the bottle and when you press down it pours our 1 1/2 oz. I just make my mixture, use a funnel and pour it into an empty bottle, put the top on and go to town filling up the cups.

I normally take mine camping, so the lids help a lot with the transport. My husband said if I didn't make 50 at a time, transport would not be such an issue.

allisonandrews said:
Going back to the first post, what are jell-o EGG shots? (as opposed to the normal ones, of which I am quite the fan)
Cflatt gets the star. I like the Egg shots becuase they are bigger and you don't the evidience of how many you've eaten. Like the traditional ones in a small disposable cup. 50 at a time now your talking :grin:

cflatt said:
Chris, I dodnt know what part of PA youre in, but where do you go to get your meat ?

I get most of my meat from Shady Maple I am in douglassville. It is about 1/2 drive form my house. But it is close to my dads store. So alot of the time Ill get stuff by the case and freeze it. Somtimes ill got to other places but that is not often.
here is a link
http://www.shady-maple.com/

Chris

man, i was about half way there when I went to Sams today in Exton. glad to know about it though. I will have to make the trip some time soon.

Jell-o shots can sneak up on you quickly. In April, I made about 70 shots for a music festival campout. (5 days long). I made one batch on the weak side and one batch on the strong side. We were at the concert the first night (private - only 300 tickets sold that night). I had been drinking beer during the day, but was no where near drunk. It had been raining on us, so it just wasn't chugging beer kind of weather. Well, in the middle of the concert, we ran out of beer (we were just bringing a few with us at a time), so my husband went back to the camper. I told him to grab me a few shots as I was feeling NOTHING from the beer. Well, I was also hungry. Hunger and jell-o shots do not match. I think I sat there and ate 10 of them in a row. And, yep, you guessed it, hubby grabbed the strong ones. At the end of the concert, I stood up to fold up my chair and immediately went back down... It was a very long and difficult walk/climb back to our camper that was on the other side of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom