little bitty piggy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Well the boys are talking about going whole hog on Buford. Last year I did a small suckling pig on my old pit, the boys want to do it again…………I know that getting a small pig isn’t really cost efficient but the kids want it and I’m kicking the idea around…..So Bufords smoke chamber is 36 x 24 how big of a pig do you think I can get on him? What should my pit temp be? Where do I measure the internal temp of the pig? And how long do you think the cook is going to be?

DAT'S I think you need to send a pigeon up to Festus so I can get some advice. :D Cappy I though you guys invented the whole pig thing? :razz: Am I now blackballed because my wife joined? I wish Puff was here to give me some advice. :eek: Woodman said something about a texas site that might be able to help? :eep:

Pigs is our resident whole hog expert. My grill is 3 by 4 and I can get a
100 pounder on easily, split down the backbone and laid out flat.
Now a suckling pig usually isn't done in that style. How you gonna cook it?

Captain Morgan said:
Pigs is our resident whole hog expert. My grill is 3 by 4 and I can get a
I plumb done told the boy I would get a 100# or so and have half it butchered and wrapped, Then do the other half on the pit. :) :grin:

sounds like he's trying to impress the boys. a 70 pounder butterflied
usually does the trick (head on, of course, to be traditional), but if he's
going to have it sittin there like a suckling pig with its legs all tucked
up under it, well, I guess he could still get around a 70 pounder on there
if his pit has enough head room.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":dgauo5nv]Pigs is our resident whole hog expert. My grill is 3 by 4 and I can get a
I plumb done told the boy I would get a 100# or so and have half it butchered and wrapped, Then do the other half on the pit. :) :grin:[/quote:dgauo5nv]
Pigs pal I told ya I don't have any frezzer space for a 1/2 pig :grin: Besides my kids don't want to cook 1/2 a pig they want a whole one even if it is a itty bitty piggy. And what my boys want they get...........I don't care how long it takes to cook either I'm going to do it on vacation.
Cappy I 'm looking for sugestions on how to cook it. I'm trying to get this all thought out before hand. Thanks for the help.
I wasn't going to butterfly it just kind of put'er in and let it rip?

no experience with a piggy sittin on it's haunches, but I'd shoot for a 50
to 60 pounder. Hopefully it'll be done in the thick parts before the thin
parts dry out.

Captain Morgan said:
no experience with a piggy sittin on it's haunches, but I'd shoot for a 50
to 60 pounder. Hopefully it'll be done in the thick parts before the thin
parts dry out.
I could have the butcher kneecap the pig, and what If I foiled the thicker parts partway thru the cook?

Just don't know about cooking that way, I've never done it. Plenty of folks do though, I just don't want to give you bad advice.

Ain't this impressive enough?

Captain Morgan said:
Just don't know about cooking that way, I've never done it. Plenty of folks do though, I just don't want to give you bad advice.

Ain't this impressive enough?

That looks good I just don't think it will fit like that.

Captain Morgan said:
I bet a 50 pounder would. Let me go measure mine, maybe it's 2 by 3 too.
I bet it would to I think the last one was like 45 lbs? I'll have to check with the mrs. she members things better than I do.

ok, mines 3 x 4, but I've done a hundred pounder on there butterflied
like that. I'm sure you can fit a 50 pounder on there. You might want
to have the butcher cut off the legs below the knees, or just keep a hacksaw handy.

Captain Morgan said:
ok, mines 3 x 4, but I've done a hundred pounder on there butterflied
like that. I'm sure you can fit a 50 pounder on there. You might want
to have the butcher cut off the legs below the knees, or just keep a hacksaw handy.
Thanks cappy we'll keep ya updated the cook will happen the 2 or 3 week in August.

yikes, you couldn't pay me enough to do a whole hog in August down here. Heat index levels will be over 100. That's why down here, October is Hog Killin Time.

Captain Morgan said:
yikes, you couldn't pay me enough to do a whole hog in August down here. Heat index levels will be over 100. That's why down here, October is Hog Killin Time.
Cappy I aint killing it I'm just cooking it. :grin: And I'm on VACATION that's the one time of year I don't care how hot it gets.

wittdog said:
Captain Morgan said:
I bet a 50 pounder would. Let me go measure mine, maybe it's 2 by 3 too.
I bet it would to I think the last one was like 45 lbs? I'll have to check with the mrs. she members things better than I do.

I'm thinking it was 37 lbs.... but not sure. But Buford is bigger than the one we cooked on last year, so 50 might be ok.

Wittdogs B said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":22n5geam]I bet a 50 pounder would. Let me go measure mine, maybe it's 2 by 3 too.

I'm thinking it was 37 lbs.... but not sure. But Buford is bigger than the one we cooked on last year, so 50 might be ok.[/quote:22n5geam]
This is gonna be fun ~ Mr and Mrs Wittdog "communicating" on a public bbq forum. :grin: :grin: #-o

:!:

Back
Top Bottom