Saturday Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
Well, things went really well yesterday and tasted even better. Damn, I'm getting pretty good at this stuff. Had about 25 people over. Served spares, butt, brisket, thighs, collard greens, beans, macaroni salad, and cole slaw. Cooked mostly with oak, apple, and some cherry. Everyone said food was fantastic and kept telling my wife to let me get a pit to cater on and a few said they'd have me for some parties to get started. I've got me eye on a 30x9 Klose Ultimate w/upright, slideout, and 1 burner. We'll see on that. That will be a work in progress.
I thought the brisket, ribs and pork were really good but the chicken was a little too salty. Should have compensated for smaller pieces by shortening the brine time. (Lesson learned for the cook) I also made burnt ends which were the absolute bomb. They came out really really good.
Got the kids(Jenny 5 1/2 and Joe 4) involved for the first time. They enjoyed themselves a lot.

Here's the link to pics:
http://community.webshots.com/album/551258739uYbmBA/0

All in all a very tiring, but rewarding, two days. By the way Woody, those ribs racks do pretty much suck. Might have to modify by making them hold only three a piece creating more room between racks. This pit was maxed out with 2 butts, 5 racks, and a whole brisket.

All in all a very tiring, but rewarding, two days. By the way Woody, those ribs racks do pretty much suck. Might have to modify by making them hold only three a piece creating more room between racks. This pit was maxed out with 2 butts, 5 racks, and a whole brisket

Hiya Uncle Bubbs,now that good getting the kids involved , I bet they had a great time. Enjoied the pictures could almost taste the food looking at the pics.

WalterSC said:
All in all a very tiring, but rewarding, two days. By the way Woody, those ribs racks do pretty much suck. Might have to modify by making them hold only three a piece creating more room between racks. This pit was maxed out with 2 butts, 5 racks, and a whole brisket

Hiya Uncle Bubbs,now that good getting the kids involved , I bet they had a great time. Enjoied the pictures could almost taste the food looking at the pics.

Q looked great Bubba! Can't believe how much the kids have grown. Good job!

kids look like they had a great time! :( Food looks great!! Is that table from Sam's Club?

Yeah, great looking kids too! :) I liked how they kept showing that they still had all their fingers!! :grin:

The Joker said:
kids look like they had a great time! :( Food looks great!! Is that table from Sam's Club?

Yes it is. Paid around $100 2 years ago. Stainless makes it easy to clean and sterilize. Kids did have a great time. Will try to get them more and more involved as time goes on. I figure the next all-nighter is theirs'. :!:

Uncle Bubba said:
[quote="The Joker":345dht5n]kids look like they had a great time! :( Food looks great!! Is that table from Sam's Club?

Yes it is. Paid around $100 2 years ago. Stainless makes it easy to clean and sterilize. Kids did have a great time. Will try to get them more and more involved as time goes on. I figure the next all-nighter is theirs'. :!:[/quote:345dht5n]
They still carry it, or one very similar, and I keep eyeing it every time I go there. That 1st all-nighter for the kids should be interesting. :!:

So, you are going to buy a big pit, involve your kids and bail on me too?

Told ya the rib racks blow! I gave one to Neil yesterday. Kloset, did he make it over?

Trust me...with those two at 4 and basically 6...it's going to be a long time before I involve them to that level. She's a competitor though and he shows more interest in the kitchen than she does. Bigger pit??? If I ever get a green light on an Ultimate...there will be no hesitation. It's gettting her to that point. Just need a few more parties where everyone keeps telling her I should do this. It's much like you were before you jumped in. It's a big commitment both financially and physically with your free time. So if you ever need help again...let me know. :itsok:

Woodman said:
So, you are going to buy a big pit, involve your kids and bail on me too?

Told ya the rib racks blow! I gave one to Neil yesterday. Kloset, did he make it over?

Yea he made it over and picked up the grill, stayed for a couple of hours and we chatted about Q. Nice people!

Back
Top Bottom