Being in the Business Yes or No?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
OK here is a question for you BBQ entrepreneurs who have bit the bullet, taken the plunge, jumped in feet first and grabbed the bull by the horns. How do you know when it is time to go into the BBQ business ?

when you have way too much money to lose. I'm working like crazy to open a joint here, and all the people I respect tell me I'm crazy to do it.
It's been said that if you want to open a bbq joint, you do it for the love of
doing it, not for the money. It's also been said that half of those greeters
at Walmart are folks who took their retirement money and opened a restaurant.

All your friends will tell you to do it. All those who know what they're talking about ill tell you not to.

Only invest what you can lose and not endanger your family.

Thanks for the response Captain. What would keep someone from pulling thier pit down to the vacant lot across the street from Walmart, get out the lawn chairs and sell bbq sandwiches until well runs dry?

Cliff H. said:
Thanks for the response Captain. What would keep someone from pulling thier pit down to the vacant lot across the street from Walmart, get out the lawn chairs and sell bbq sandwiches until well runs dry?

Local zoning regulations, health department rules, liability, etc.

That's a easy question to answer. If the phone keeps ringing, You like to work long hours, You want to give up your social life, And most of all , If your kind of not right in the head, Go for it. there are lots of hoops to jump threw, Lot's of red tape to deal with, And many hours of planning to get started. Oh three other thing's, Location, location, location.

Cliff H. said:

They do that in Detroit all the time :!:

Puff said:
Cliff H. said:

That's cus they done stole the guys rig that was legitimately selling Q at the other end of the street! 8-[

Larry Wolfe said:
Puff said:
[quote="Cliff H.":t3fazf17]Thanks for the response Captain. What would keep someone from pulling thier pit down to the vacant lot across the street from Walmart, get out the lawn chairs and sell bbq sandwiches until well runs dry?

That's cus they done stole the guys rig that was legitimately selling Q at the other end of the street! 8-[[/quote:t3fazf17]

Larry, when were you in Detroit? The only thing you left out was "They shot him and then stole the guys rig.... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":32y0mkef]
Puff said:
[quote="Cliff H.":32y0mkef]Thanks for the response Captain. What would keep someone from pulling thier pit down to the vacant lot across the street from Walmart, get out the lawn chairs and sell bbq sandwiches until well runs dry?

That's cus they done stole the guys rig that was legitimately selling Q at the other end of the street! 8-[[/quote:32y0mkef]

Larry, when were you in Detroit? The only thing you left out was "They shot him and then stole the guys rig.... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:[/quote:32y0mkef]
I'm telling you, church groups set up stands all over the place.
They make some great Q :!:

I am not asking for myself guys. My brother in Texas is considering this venture quite seriously. I just turned him on to this board and I hope he is reading. I know you guys would not steer him wrong. We both love to cook outdoors. BBQ, fish and steaks. I think we could even tackle a crawfish boil. The only one up he has on me is that he went to cake decorating school and has developed a pretty good little business on the side. Our dad who passed away a few months ago was very proud of the fact that he taught us how to Q. I would just like my Texas bro to hear the facts from people who are already doing what he is thinking he may want to try. Oh yea, I would also like him to bake me a cake when I come to visit this summer.

BBQ Business

The Cliff Man,
Here ya go. Market your BBQ to locals. Start by catering ONLY Private Parties.
Most states have no regulations if you cater a Private Party and cook on THEIR premises.
The money is good, you don't spend much time doing it and do it only when you want to. Take the gigs you want and turn down the ones you don't want or are too tired to do.
After a few years, you will have ALL the BBQ gigs you want.
Smoke On!!!!!!

That's true for the most part, What about the idiot folk that put out mac salad and tater salad in the sun three hours before the main coarse is to come off the pit? If some one gets sick, Your the FIRST person they will blame!!!!!

That brings a question up that I have wondered about. If you have cooked and rested all the big cuts of meat. Do you pull your pit to a gig just for the wow effect or do you really need it there to finish cooking food?

I have made BBQ for my brother and all of the people he works with a couple of times. One time they tried to talk me into opening up a BBQ joint. They even committed to investing their own money to get me started. I explained that I am passionate about BBQ and I have loved it since I was a kid. I also explained how many hours are involved with making real wood smoked BBQ. I explained that I would have to be at my BBQ joint 14+ hours a day. At least until I could train someone I could trust to so things the way I want them done. I explained that my kids are still young and I would not be able to spend any time with them if I opened my own place. So I thanked them for their offer. My own BBQ joint is something I would love to do but not until my kids are older. Then I would seriously look into it.

Sick?

I agree. That's why you should ALWAYS carry 1 million $ worth of insurance just in case. I also have my clients sign a waver. May not stand up in court, but anyone that sues for getting sick would have to sue the person having the party first.
They didn't get sick at My party. Not my party, I was just hired to cook!!!!
Smoke On!!!!
ed

Wow Effect

The Wow effect is the best part. That's what everyone wants, that big Ol' smoker with the smoke a rollin' out.
I smoke the big cuts the day before and reheat them at the gig. That gives me plenty of time for ribs (6 hours) and chicken (4 hours) and Salmon (3 hours).
I make them serve their own food. I smoke, I don't serve, I don't take tables, chairs, forks, knives, nothing!!!!
I do MEAT only and it's their responsibility to provide everything else. I charge whatever they will pay and I don't do it cheap. If I can't make 500-600 PROFIT in those 6 hours, I don't do it.
I don't know about anyone else, but this works for me and I am booked more than I want to be, turning down about 50% of the offers I get. If I can't or don't want to do it, I just tell them I am already booked and try again some time. They always call back.
If they can't spend that much money, I tell them to go to Famous Daves!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!! And, have a GREAT Holiday weekend.
ed

I have 2 million in insurance. I think the key for a catering gig is, "DO NOT TRY TO MAKE A LIVING AT IT!" It is great extra cash. It is very satisfying to have folks love what you do. But, I don't want to go to bed worrying about where my next job is coming from! I want the option of turning jobs down if they don't fit my agenda. Honestly? If I were in Texas, NC, SC, Tn, or the other "BBQ Belt" states, I would probably not do it! The competition is too great! Don't go into deep debt! Have fun. If it ain't fun.......don't do it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom