Lump charcoal in Birmingham, AL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
I'm having problems finding lump charcoal this year. I used to buy Royal Oak lump at Wal-Mart. None of the 4 local Wal-Mart's I checked have lump in stock at all from any manufacturer. I could get Cowboy from Lowe's... but it's been replaced by my least favorite lump of all time Kingsford. BTW, I can't stand the Kingsford I bought. It won't light, it smokes like crazy, and it throws sparks like a freakin' roman candle.

No luck at Home Depot, Target, Academy, Ace....

I live in the deep south. I should be able to find lump anywhere, but I literally can't find a source for any right now other than Kingsford @ Lowe's.

Does anyone know where I can buy lump locally (Birmingham, AL) or reasonably shipped online? I must be missing something.

This is a post from another forum I belong to. I was in Birmingham back in February and I bought some Nature Glo for SRA foods. It is within site of the civic center. It is a wholesale place but does sell to the public. I hear they sell Original Charcoal which is also very good. I don't know if the fellow's name is Chick or just misspelled for Chuck but here is the information. The place has razor wire around the building. You have to be buzzed in. Very good prices.

Original link.
http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/topic ... =sra,foods

Cut and pasted information from the link.
AUKev,

Here is what BOS posted to me a while back when I was coming to B'ham.

Cleglue,SRA foods 1608 10th ave n 2 blocks from civic heres their phone# 205-323-7447 ask for Chick he'll take care of ya.I just talked to him and he has 35lb bags for $15.00 a bag also he has 40lb bags of natural glow but i didnt ask how much but the last i got was $12.50 a bag.

I did buy 40 of Nature Glo I believe was the name. The place is about 2 blocks to the west of the Civic center. I has razor wire around the building and they have to buzz you in. I believe you can get meats there also.

Suggestions are always welcomed!
Asheboro, North Carolina

Great info. Thank you very much. Those prices do look pretty good.

I used to be able to get the RO for around $5/10lb bag at Wal-Mart. However, I did say used to.

Over my lunch break I found two sources for lump in Birmingham. One wants $17/20lb of Cowboy & the other wants $13.50/20lb Big Green Eggsalad. Ouch.

I'm going to try the brand new Ace in Helena, AL. They're not officially open yet, but apparently are taking customers.

Probably not new info to all here, but I found out some interesting info on RO over at the Naked Whiz:

"Other brands made by Royal Oak: Chuckwagon, Grill Time, Big Green Egg, Real Flavor (Wal*Mart), Wegmans, Best Choice, and Nature-Glo." -- Naked Whiz[/code]

The name is indeed pronounced "Chick," but I did not clarify spelling.

Open from 7:30 - 10:30 AM tomorrow, May 13, 2006.

40 lbs Nature-Glo a whopping $13.00. Per the Naked Whiz info, it would appear to be 40 lbs of RO for $13.00.

What a great resource this site is.

cleglue said:
Did you pick up some lump from SRA Foods?

No. I intended to go Saturday, but just couldn't make it.

I'll go later this week or early next.

Back
Top Bottom