WSM WATER PAN - FOIL? OR NO FOIL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
Since I've owned my WSM I have always foiled over the water pan so that the drippings would fall into the foiled over pan and when the smoke was done I could just wrap the foil up and not worry about cleanup in the water pan. My problem is that I do not remove the foil until the next smoke and sometimes the foil is a little funky. Does anyone out there NOT foil their water pan? And if so, how's the clean-up? Thanks.

Fill the pan 1/3 of the way with sand and put several layers of foil over that. After each cook, remove one layer of foil, clean up is done and it's already foiled for the next cook!

brian j said:
when i first got my wsm i used water and didn't foil. it's was a huge mess to clean up, espicially since i have a septic system and can't pour all that grease down the drain. now i don't use water in the pan and always foil. clean up is MUCH easier.

So you foil the pan but don't add any water???

You've got several options as to what is in your pan.

If you foil and use water make sure that it is the really good (thick) stuff from Sam's or Costco. Wide enough to cover the whole thing with one sheet (but use two in opposite directions) so that water doesn't get under it.

Foil and sand. Do what Larry discribed.

Foil and an empty pan. Use two (or more) sheets in opposite directions. Remove the sheets with grease after cook.

Foil and balls (or crinkled sheets) of foil in the pan. Put a couple of sheets and form a bowl to catch grease over the balls or sheets.

Also, I foil the outside of my bowl to keep the smoke buildup off of it.

You can also cook with no pan in the WSM but that gets messy because there is nothing to catch the grease before it gets down in the coals.

I'd be careful with that last option. I did thighs direct a few weeks ago and it was flare up city. Way too much flame and black smoke. I put the pan back in.

You get a big butt with a giant fat cap in there, you could have a fire without the drip pan. A slow cook should prevent a fire, but I suppose it's possible.

Captain Morgan said:
I'd be careful with that last option. I did thighs direct a few weeks ago and it was flare up city. Way too much flame and black smoke. I put the pan back in.

You get a big butt with a giant fat cap in there, you could have a fire without the drip pan. A slow cook should prevent a fire, but I suppose it's possible.
Wussy :razz:

Thanks for all the info. I do use the heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap it with 2 or 3 sheets. When I add the water though some always seems to make it's way to the bottom of the pan. I never really thought of
not using water basically due to the water helping regulate the temp. [/u]

brian j said:
[quote="Man's Best Friend BBQ":2nca161e]So you foil the pan but don't add any water???

no water. at larry and finney's advise i switched to sand and never looked back. it really is much better than water.

i covered the pan with foil and then added the sand. then covered it with 2 more pieces of foil, the top one gets thrown in the trash after each cook.[/quote:2nca161e]

Good idea Brian. I didn't foil mine before putting the sand in it years ago. Now I have a piece of concrete that is adhered to the pan and will NOT come off!

cleglue said:
I will be foiling myself after the scrub job on the pan only after it's second burn!

That will make you a believer!! 8-[

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom