Top Round done w/ pics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I was out this morning looking for a brisket and didn’t find one…But my son talked me into buying a 21lb top round. Any suggestion on how to prepare this? I want to toss it on Buford it hasn’t been trimmed it has a lot of fat and some nice marbling. After the anorexic pig I wanted something with a nice fat cap, and my wife has been wanting me to do another brisket so I went with plan B. What do you guys think? I think this will be a good opportunity to try out my charcoal basket. I haven’t done a top round so what internal temp am I looking at?

Finney said:
When I've done those, I cook them at 275* until medium rare. A little woosty, then salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

That's kind of the direction I was leaning too, What kind of time frame am I looking at Ballpark? Thanks in advance.

Finney said:
When I've done those, I cook them at 275* until medium rare. A little woosty, then salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Ditto! I used to sear them and then finish indirect, and then Finney told me his way and it worked great. It gives the roast a more even rareness all the way through, versus just rare in the middle.

One more thing, if you want the finished product to be med-rare, pull it off the cooker while it's rare around 125*. This is one cut of meat you do not want to over cook and dry out.

All right guys. Good stuff. Here’s the game plan, I doing ribs tomorrow, and I’m going to do the beef on Sunday, with some wor, S&P garlic and onion powder. I picked up some Humphries bricks today I plan on using them with the roast, and the charcoal box. Do you think I should put the roast in a pan or not? I'm leaning away from the pan.

wittdog said:
All right guys. Good stuff. Here’s the game plan, I doing ribs tomorrow, and I’m going to do the beef on Sunday, with some wor, S&P garlic and onion powder. I picked up some Humphries bricks today I plan on using them with the roast, and the charcoal box. Do you think I should put the roast in a pan or not? I'm leaning away from the pan.
I haven't ever put the one's I've done in a pan to cook them. I do however put a pan under the cooking grate to catch the drippings. Makes for a good smokey au jus. Just put some beef stock, a little oil, onions, celery, garlic and/or anything else you would like in the pan. While you're letting the roast rest, remove the veggies and reduce the liquid by about half to concentrate the flavors.

**You may have to add more stock to the pan during or after the cook. You want enough liquid so that the drippins don't burn.

Finney said:
wittdog said:
I haven't ever put the one's I've done in a pan to cook them. I do however put a pan under the cooking grate to catch the drippings. Makes for a good smokey au jus. Just put some beef stock, a little oil, onions, celery, garlic and/or anything else you would like in the pan. While you're letting the roast rest, remove the veggies and reduce the liquid by about half to concentrate the flavors.

**You may have to add more stock to the pan during or after the cook. You want enough liquid so that the drippins don't burn.

That smokey au jus rocks. I've done it before, it's almost better then the meat.

21 lbs? That's a big hunk of beef!!!
I might be inclined to cut it into 2 roasts. I think it would be easier to
get it's core temp to where you want it and easier to slice. More tastey
crust too =P~
JMHO though.

oompappy said:
21 lbs? That's a big hunk of beef!!!
I might be inclined to cut it into 2 roasts. I think it would be easier to
get it's core temp to where you want it and easier to slice. More tastey
crust too =P~
JMHO though.
But then you lose that macho big hunk of meat factor. I've done several of them in the 18 - 20 lbs range with now prob. Just cook @ 275*.
You can cut it in half length ways and reduce the cooking time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom