Fresh ham Brine or cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ham recipe

Here is a recipe for a smoked ham (like store bought) I just smoked one yesterday. 5 quarts ice water, 1 LB Salt, 1 Cup of either Sugar/Maple Syrup/Brown Sugar or Honey. 2/3 cup of instacure #1. Mix together pump ham with 10% of it's green weight with mixture. Submerge Ham in Brine for 5-7 Days. Remove from Brine and wash the surface with a stiff brush. DO NOT SOAK. Place in a Stockinette and Smoke. Preheat the smoker to 120 deg With drafts wide open hold for 12 hrs. Increase the temp to 140 deg and hold for 8 hrs with the draft 1/2 open. After the 8 hrs Close the drafts and increase the temp to 165 deg. Hold until the internal temp of the ham is 142 deg. For a fully cooking ham hold until the internal temp is 152-155 deg. Allow to Bloom for several hours. Then place in Fridge and eat the next day. The one I just did took 36 hours.

I have to save mine for Easter but I will try to post a pic tomarrow. This is the 3rd one I have done. The other two came out fantastic. You could probably speed up the cooking process by not holding it for the first 12 hrs. The recipe I gave you is not a BBQ recipe it's more of a cold Smoke which I do in a Electric Smoker. The cure is what gives the ham it's pink color that and the smoke. You hold it for the 1st 12 to "dry" the ham so you don't get a smoke ring and you get a uniform color thur out the ham. I betting you could brine it and cook it at 225 until the internal temp is 152-157 and it would give you what you are looking for. If you want a ham that is somewhere between shoulder and a store ham. Use my Brine recipe but only for about 4 days and then cook it like you talked about. I think it would give you the results you are looking for. If you do it let me know how it works out. I've been doing a lot of curing of meat lately so if you have any ? let me know, I'd even be willing to send you some Insta Cure if you can't get it in your neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom