If you think you know what this is, you’re probably wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
London Broil
From Derrick Riches,
Your Guide to Barbecues & Grilling.

If you think you know what this is, you’re probably wrong.
London Broil, despite what you might find at the local meat market is not a cut of beef but rather a method of cooking. It was one of the first recipes to become popular in early restaurants and so the name London Broil because synonymous with a cut of meat. Originally that cut of meat was flank steak, but over the years the name has been applied to almost any cut of beef that is very lean and less tender. Hence you might find London Broil being a steak or a roast that comes from the sirloin or round sections of cattle. This of course makes the whole thing very confusing.
To make matters worse the original method of the London Broil was simply a flank steak, pan fried to medium rare, cut cross grain and served. This method is perfect for a flank steak because it becomes very tough if cooked too long and by cutting it into strips you made it easy for even the dullest of teeth to get through.

Later the method was changed to include marinating the flank steak and then grilling or broiling it. This makes the name make a little more sense. Now the origins get even more confusing. The marinade traditionally used for London Broil has ranged anywhere from a simple mixture of olive oil with salt and pepper to a wide collection of ingredients. You need to remember that chefs in earlier days tended to make mix seasonings, sauces and marinade more from what was on hand than from a specific recipe. To get a good marinade for London Broil try a mixture of soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger, balsamic vinegar and honey. This gives it the basic flavors that make beef great.

From here you need to grill the marinated flank steak, hot and fast and to no more than medium. Overcooking will make it tough no matter how long you marinated. When the steak is ready remove it from the grill, allow to rest for about 5 minutes, then carve, cross grain, and serve in strips. It’s great on mashed potatoes (a traditionally favorite side dish). If you’ve been paying attention you will have noticed that most recipes that involve flank steak are prepared this way, from traditional fajitas to, well, anything with flank steak. This is generally a tough ct of meat, but it has great flavor and if you prepare it right, people will love it.

Okay, now for all those other things called London Broil. These cuts all have something in common, they are lean and tend to be tougher, so the same rules apply. You might find “London Broilâ€

Ahhh. That's what we had for dinner last night. I marinated a flank steak overnight in olive oil, red wine vinegar, chopped jalapeno, onion, paprika, and dry mustard. Grilled it and sliced it thin. Then I served it on flour tortillas with an assortment of various trimmings. My favorite was some leftover brisket chili. Just a chili and flank steak burrito but it was good eats.

Griff

Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":24znb881]Way to much info for me to care about. But the taste test........
Dumb ass. :)

Is there a difference between a dumb ass & a smart ass?
Yes................. but you're both. #-o[/quote:24znb881] Took the words right out of my mouth :!:

Puff said:
Finney said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":10v35zxq]Way to much info for me to care about. But the taste test........

Yes................. but you're both. #-o
Took the words right out of my mouth :!:[/quote:10v35zxq]

That my friends would be impossible!

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":78ruf6ob]
Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":78ruf6ob]Way to much info for me to care about. But the taste test........

Yes................. but you're both. #-o
Took the words right out of my mouth :!:[/quote:78ruf6ob]

That my friends would be impossible![/quote:78ruf6ob] :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom